| As the region's only Level I Trauma center, Harborview Medical Center is well known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD CARER, and mentally and medically vulnerable populations. In addition to the centers of emphasis, HMC serves a mission population for King County. Harborview employees are committed to the vital role the institution plays in the immediate community, as well as the entire Northwest region. HMC is owned by King County and managed by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW's School of Medicine. |
The UW is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty. As an employee you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please view this page.
The Harborview Department of Radiology has an outstanding opportunity for a TEMPORARY/HOURLY PATIENT SERVICES SPECIALIST-TRAINEE OR PSS 2 (Weekday Shifts). The Patient Services Specialist is responsible for the following duties:
- Answer, screen, and triage all telephone calls with departmental communication system, and utilize departmental pager system to contact on-call personnel and Radiologist as needed
- Schedule Radiology procedures
- Respond to patient questions, and provide directions to different clinics, units, parking, and eating facilities
- Maintain confidentiality of patient information
- Communicate information to patients, agencies, departments, physicians, and the community such as registration policies, insurance coverage, billing procedures, radiology scheduling procedures, and guidelines and instructions for different procedures/exams
- Assist patients in completing various documents such as procedure forms for exams and other patient paperwork
- Facilitate patient check-in and check-out, verify patient identity, and coordinate interpreter services for patient
- Other duties as assigned.
Competitive candidates will possess the following qualities and skills:
- Strong ability to communicate verbally, including via telephone, and the ability to interact efficiently with physicians, allied health professionals, and other department personnel
- Ability to access, enter, and retrieve information via computer system
- Previous healthcare work experience
- Ability to work independently and prioritize work appropriately