NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Associate Research Technician.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical support for ongoing research projects related to cellular and molecular research, as well as, assistance with experimental animal work. The incumbent will focus on understanding the genetic alterations involved in lung cancer initiation and progression through the use of human lung cancer cell lines and genetically engineered mouse lung cancer models. Equally important, we are employing these different model systems for the testing of novel therapeutics that would be effective in the treatment of genetically stratified lung cancers.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
- Lab Duties - Basic lab duties under general supervision as well as more advanced duties under direct supervision. Assists with the ordering and tracking of laboratory supplies. Performs routine technical tasks, and assists in the general maintenance of the lab, such as prepare stock reagents and maintain inventory of the labs supplies. General techniques in biochemistry, molecular biology and cell culture. Under supervision, will participate in standard lab experiments.
- Assist in Developing Procedures - Assists in implementing new procedures and protocols to support experiments. Participates actively in developing, recommending and implementing new approved procedures, or modifications to existing protocols and procedures. Maintains and updates technical knowledge.
- Communication/Relationship with Others - Cooperates, communicates and relates well to all levels of Medical Center. Listens carefully to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions or obtain needed information. Communicates ideas, problems, suggestions, and messages in a timely and effective manner. Maintains the confidentiality of all research information. Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Judgment/Decision-Making - Is able to recognize problems as they occur; and through the application of appropriate policy/ procedure, determine and/or recommends the appropriate solution. Seeks guidance as necessary for the performance of duties asks appropriate questions when in doubt and utilizes reference sources/materials to endure accuracy. Advises appropriate personnel of situations/problems requiring intervention or follow-up attention.
- Participates and performs other related duties as required.
To qualify you must have a Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or equivalent, hands-on experience in laboratory research, and good computer skills (Excel, MS Word, Graphpad/PRISM). Previous experience with basic cellular and molecular research techniques including tissue culture, protein extraction, western blotting, RNA extraction and quantitative PCR is a requirement for the position. Prior experience with immunoprofiling/FACS is a plus. Prior experience with experimental mouse work is also preferred, but not a requirement. At least a two-year commitment is preferred. Additional requirements for this position include strong interpersonal and organizational skills, attention to detail, methodical record keeping, and a desire to contribute to research projects both independently and within a team.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.