Under direct supervision, the Secretary Senior will perform complex secretarial duties and independently plan, organize and prioritize work in support of the Social Sciences and World Languages Division and support the assessment work of the College. The Secretary Senior will initiate action to ensure division work, assessment efforts, and office goals are met, and have frequent contacts with students, faculty and staff, and community members. This position reports to the Dean for Social Sciences, World Languages & Assessment.
Closing Date: Open until filled : First Consideration closes May 8, 2017 @ 11:59 p.m.
| Primary Responsibilities: |
- Provide direct secretarial support to the Dean for Social Sciences, World Languages & Assessment in support of programs within the Division;
- Provide information related to the Dean's planning, organizing and operation of the division;
- Resolve problems and respond to inquiries regarding division procedures and services;
- Answer telephones and receive, screen and refer students and community members;
- Maintain the Dean's calendar and make appointments, schedule and arrange meetings, and make room reservations;
- Maintain, monitor, and evaluate the division budget or fiscal records; complete or process requisitions, invoices and payroll; identify problems and initiate corrections; and assist in the development of the division budget;
- Take meeting minutes; compose or type letters, meeting notices, and agendas; compile and produce reports, applications, financial statements, schedules, test materials, evaluations, and other documents;
- Proofread material making corrections for sentence structure, spelling, grammar, and punctuation;
- In consultation with the Dean, establish front office procedures, standards, priorities, and deadlines;
- Establish or revise electronic or manual files;
- Attend meetings on behalf of the Dean when requested;
- Assist in making travel arrangements for the Dean and division faculty, assist in accessing process and forms, and facilitate final travel expense reports;
- Order supplies, equipment, printing, and arrange for facility and equipment maintenance and repair services;
- Maintain records of incoming and outgoing correspondence and documents and follow up on work in process;
- Perform complex word processing tasks such as merging and sorting, integrating text with graphics, spreadsheet and data base files, uploading/downloading, and creating footnotes and outlines; use spreadsheet and data base software to develop and maintain records; prepare spreadsheets involving the development of formulas; combine files to create reports; and use graphics software and recommend appropriate display of information; and
- Other duties as assigned.
| Required Qualifications: |
- Associate's degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university; and
- Minimum three (3) years of clerical or secretarial experience.
| Skills & Abilities: |
Customer Service Skills: Manage difficult or emotional customer situations; respond promptly to customer needs; solicit customer feedback to improve service; respond to requests for service and assistance; meet commitments.
Written Communication Skills: Write clearly and informatively; edit work for spelling and grammar; vary writing style to meet needs; present numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
Professionalism: Ability to approach others in a tactful manner; react well under pressure; treat others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accept responsibility for own actions; follow through on commitments.
Oral Communication: Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listen and get clarification; respond well to questions; demonstrate group presentation skills; participate in meetings.
Analytical Skills: Synthesize complex or diverse information; collect and research data; use intuition and experience to complement data; design work flows and procedures.
Quality: Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; look for ways to improve and promote quality; apply feedback to improve performance; monitor own work to ensure quality. Attendance/Punctuality: Is consistently at work and on time; ensure work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrive at meetings and appointments on time.