The Assistant Director for Student Clubs and Organizations must have a passion for working with creative students and will serve as a co-creator of a vibrant and innovative environment for student involvement. The ideal team member will establish and sustain collaborative partnerships within the Division of Student Affairs, Diversity and Inclusion and the Berklee College of Music community, in order to create transformational co-curricular experiences. We strive to provide opportunities for students to explore who they are authentically, while developing greater independence, agency and resiliency. We strive to provide a community that actively engages in reflection, in order to examine the present and future aspirations.
Reporting to the Director, Student Activities and Leadership, the Assistant Director for Student Clubs and Organizations is responsible for the overall development, creation and implementation of a comprehensive clubs and organization programs. The Assistant Director leads the coordination and approval process of all student clubs and organizations, programming funding requests, and travel. The Assistant Director will also work with student leaders in the development of the constitution and mission of their respective club or organization, and the organization structure to advance the mission of the club/organization. The Assistant Director will work closely with student leaders in the selection of club and organization advisors, as well as lead a training program to adequately prepare advisors to serve in this important role. Coordinate all major aspects of student organizations on campus that include, but not limited to the processing and maintenance of online requests, event proposal review, training and leadership development, and general advisement of student leaders.
- Ability to plan, direct, and evaluate a complex operation, using staff, time, funds, and other resources for the accomplishment of long-term and short-term goals of the institution.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Ability to provide administrative guidance within area of responsibility, providing direct training and supervision as needed.
- Ability to apply budgetary and fiscal planning techniques within financial constraints.
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Ability to integrate resources, policies, and information for the determination of procedures, solutions, and other outcomes.
- Ability to communicate effectively -orally, by phone, in person, and in writing.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations in a timely manner.
- Proven ability to work & lead effectively in a highly diverse campus community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Club and Organization support:
- Assist the Director with the development, planning, and implementation of strategic initiatives and programs that support the co-curricular engagement of students
- Coordinate an annual Student Organizations Understanding Leadership Summit to provide professional and leadership development to student leaders
- Regularly utilize student development theory, research, best practice, and assessment tools in order to identify and understand the needs of students transitioning to university life and as such develop and implement initiatives to serve these student populations
- Serves as campus advisor to student groups, including such areas as music, campus activities, student government, student affinity groups, volunteer students, multicultural organizations, etc.
- Ensures adherence by student organizations to departmental, campus, and college regulations, policies, and procedures
- Create and provide annual trainings to student leaders around financial, scheduling, and college policies
- Coordinates, prepares, and disseminates publications related to student clubs, student activities, and student services, to students, staff and the community
- Coordinates travel arrangements for student related travel in accordance with College policies and procedures
- Lead the process in creating, reviewing and enforcing policies that affect student organizations and minimize risk of the college and align with the best practices in higher education
- Develop and implement a comprehensive assessment program to determine the advancement of leadership skills due to involvement in student clubs and organizations.
- Create annual reports summarizing major events/programs as it relates to student clubs and organizations
- Act on behalf of the Director when requested
- Establish and implement Student Organization and Advisor Manuals in order to advance the student experience as it relates to Clubs and Organizations
- Oversee the creation of the weekly events communication to the Berklee and Boston Conservatory at Berklee Community
- Create and maintain web-based materials that support the development of the student club and organization program
Other Event Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement additional staff initiated programs throughout the year
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Other Information or Comments:
- Weekends and evenings hours as well as some holidays required
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee may be required to travel