Northwestern University’s School of Education and Social Policy (SESP) is seeking a part-time (24 hrs/wk) program assistant. The Program Assistant will work to support the Northwestern University – Evanston Township High School (ETHS) partnership and report to the NU/ETHS Partnership Coordinator. The Program Assistant will work out of the NU/ETHS Partnership Office located at ETHS and support school-based and campus activities between the two institutions. The Program Assistant will coordinate a broad variety of administrative processes and activities such as database, communications, particularly social media, management of supervisor and program calendars, event planning, and reporting.
The Program Assistant 3 coordinates administrative processes and prioritizes, directs, and responds to business matters involving administrative functions associated with education, research, and/or operations. This role creates and maintains associated documents, spreadsheets, databases, meetings, special events, etc. and alerts supervisor of critical issues and upcoming events.
- Part time schedule is 24 hours per week. Final schedule is TBD, but anticipated to be six hours a day, four days a week. There will be occasional off hours that require some flexibility.
- Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check for Northwestern University and a FBI fingerprint background check for ETHS prior to employment.
Documents and Databases
- Independently responds to and composes correspondence.
- Creates and maintains standard spreadsheets and/or databases.
- Prepares queries, reports, statistics, tables, charts, etc. based on information compiled from various sources.
- Determines format, elements, trends, etc.
- Maintains websites and/or blogs.
- Creates new web pages and/or updates standard information/data within the application’s content management program.
- Creates and maintains financial records.
- Prepares forms.
- Verifies appropriateness and accuracy of charges.
- Updates financial transaction spreadsheets and databases.
- Manages supervisor's and/or dept calendar.
- Manages registration and travel.
- Organizes and coordinates events which may include creating timelines.
- Collects agenda items and background materials.
- Creates registrant profiles.
- Coordinates complex itineraries involving domestic and/or international travel, etc.
- Prepares annual event, conference and/or meeting budget.
- Verifies invoices and expense reports; and/or reconciles to budget.
- Responds to inquiries.
- Provides basic interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Researches information to resolve problems or issues.
- Coordinates work of receptionists, program assts, temporary/work-study students, secretaries, research/clerical assts, interns, etc.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma or equivalent required.
- 4 years of administrative support or other relevant experience required.
- Experience with social media including Facebook and Twitter
- Advanced knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software programs including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Strong communication skills: ability to write and speak clearly and keep others informed
- Ability to communicate and work with diverse stakeholders from the university, high school, and community: high school and university students, teachers and university faculty, school and university leadership and Evanston community members and leaders
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities and multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal skills: being helpful, respectful, approachable, and team oriented
- Excellent time management, organizational skills and attention to detail
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Ability to work effectively in an environment in which the parameters may change daily and to adjust behavior to meet the needs of different people and situations.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently display accuracy and attention to detail.
- Receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embrace continuous improvement.
- Willingness to facilitate open and effective communication, cooperation and teamwork within and outside of one's own team.
- Successfully uses multiple software programs independently including Microsoft Office applications such as PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Access, email, web browsers, and PeopleSoft.
- Demonstrated ability honoring University policies and regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively one-to-one, in small groups and in public speaking contexts.
- Ability to write precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar
- Regularly monitors customer satisfaction and provides suggestions to improve quality and value to the customer.
- Effectively performs duties and responsibilities with attention to detail and support for organizational policies.
- Ability to create an environment of understanding and acceptance and challenge organizational policies and practices that may be exclusionary.
- Demonstrated energy and desire to achieve and ability to take action that no one has requested to improve or enhance job results and avoid problems.
- Displayed consistency and success in adhering to deadlines.
- Experience with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to plan, organize and schedule in an efficient, productive manner and target projects or initiatives that require special attention and focus on key tasks when faced with limited time and/or resources.
- Ability to build collaboration by encouraging trust, mutual respect and shared purpose among various participants in an engagement.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in education or STEM-related field; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- One year of experience in a research or academic environment
- Previous experience with event organization
- Graphic and digital design skills
- Experience with financial management systems
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.