Reporting to the Dean of the School of Medicine, the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Clinical Education is a physician administrator with demonstrated success in the education of medical students. The Associate Dean is responsible for providing overall leadership and oversight of the clinical programs that support students and enhance their clinical educational experiences, and ensures compliance with the LCME requirements for accreditation.
Job Duties: 1.Oversees and participates in the development, implementation and delivery of the undergraduate clinical component of the School of Medicine curriculum. 2.Ensures that the School of Medicine is in compliance with all LCME standards that relate to the clinical component of the medical students' learning environment 3.Identifies and recruits faculty physicians to serve in leadership, teaching and mentorship roles to the students. 4.Ensures faculty are oriented to their roles as educators and are proactively engaged in their professional development in their areas of specialty and the scholarship of teaching. 5.Meets regularly with administration and clinical leaders at Beaumont to ensure that needs of the clinical sites are managed and addressed in a timely manner. 6.Working in partnership with the appropriate deans, oversees and assesses the quality and effectiveness of individual faculty teaching. 7.Participates in strategic planning activities for the School of Medicine 8.Continually accesses the relevance of the clinical education program in light of the needs of the students as well as the needs of the health care system. 9.Works with civic leaders and health care providers to maintain a presence in the community. 10.Develops and coordinates workshops, seminars, and other programs that will benefit the clinical community. 11.Fosters the dissemination of information between administration, faculty and students at all clinical sites 12.Oversees an administrative staff responsible for student and faculty support. 13.Works with OUWB administration to support research and scholarly work by faculty and students. 14.Works closely with the Associate Dean for Pre-Clinical Education to ensure horizontal and vertical integration as well as overall efficacy of the medical education curriculum. 15.Coordinate and assist with communication so for students who engage in international clerkships 16.Prepare annual budget to support the clinical program.
The Associate Dean will devote at least 70 percent effort to decanal functions and responsibilities; for the remaining 30 percent effort the individual will be supported to pursue teaching, research, and/or clinical care.
A.MD or DO degree B.Faculty rank of associate or full professor C.Experience in medical student education with documented effectiveness as a teacher and/or mentor of medical students D.Experience in education leadership at either the medical student or the GME level. E.Demonstrated commitment to advancing a culture and climate of diversity and inclusion. F.Exceptional organizational and managerial skills G.Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and work well with members of the clinical and academic community. Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills with an outstanding ability to collaborate. H.Exceptional service orientation and commitment to teamwork
Special Instructions to Applicants::
Please upload a cover letter – include a list of three references and their contact information, curriculum vitae, and a copy of your transcripts. Letters of recommendation will be requested from candidates that are under serious consideration. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Inquiries should be addressed to Jamie Sands, email@example.com
As a state-supported institution of higher education, Oakland University has a three-fold mission. It offers instructional programs of high quality that lead to degrees at the baccalaureate, master?s and doctoral levels, as well as programs in continuing education; it advances knowledge and promotes the arts through research, scholarship, and creative activity; and it renders significant public se...rvice. In all its activities, the university strives to exemplify educational leadership in a diverse and inclusive environment.