NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Clin Lab Technologist.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day testing in the Cancer Center Laboratory. Performs laboratory procedures in specific sections of Pathology (including Chemistry, Hematology and Immunology, etc) ensuring that timely quality reports are available for physicians to be used in patient diagnosis and treatment. Qualifications of licensed laboratory staff must be written and used as guidelines in the evaluation of laboratory applicants. Licensed laboratory staff must have written responsibilities that will be used as guidelines for periodic performance assessments
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to attendance and dress code standards.
- Adheres to and participates in quality assurance and/or IOP projects as designated by the Lab Director, Coordinator of Laboratory Services or Supervisor Lab Technologist. Attends section meetings and/or in-service training sessions that communicate changes in laboratory practices and/or regulations and compliance as required OR reads and initials meeting minutes if attendance is not possible.
- Reviews Policy and Procedure, Safety, and Infection Control manuals as required. Maintains a clean, efficient, and safe work area. Contributes to the team effort, exhibit flexibility and adaptability to change, unexpected circumstances, and wide spectrum of laboratory situations. Cooperates with coworkers and managers to maintain a productive and harmonious work environment. Fulfills continuing education requirements of the laboratory and/or certification agency. Maintains an awareness of implementation or changes in policies by reading written and electronic communications, postings, and protocols
- Identifies problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problems or immediately notify the supervisor or director. Documents all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications. May provide orientation and training of new employees.
- Follows the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results. Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens. Adhere to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed. Follows the laboratory's established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the established acceptable levels of performance.
- Determines the priority of work to ensure rapid turn around of critical test results. Prepares reagents, standards, and controls according to manufacturers procedures. Maintains accurate and timely data base entry via the Laboratory Information System in use. Performs only those moderate or high complexity tests that are authorized by the laboratory director and require a degree of skill commensurate with the individual's education, training or experience, and technical abilities.
- Pursuant to CFR 493.1495 (responsibilities), each technologist is responsible for specimen processing, test performance and reporting of test results. Processes specimens performs tests and reports test results in a fully acceptable manner.
- Current State, National and/or Local Union Medical Technologist License, where applicable.
- Must be qualified as a medical technologist pursuant to the provisions of section 58-1.5(b) of the NYS Clinical Laboratory Subpart 58-1.
- Pursuant to CFR 493.1489 (qualifications), each individual performing high complexity testing must have the skills required for: Proper specimen collection, including patient identification and preparation, labeling, handling, preservation or fixation, processing or preparation, transportation and storage of specimens.
- Understanding, implementing and adhering to all standard laboratory procedures.
- Performing each test method and for proper instrument use.
- Performing preventive maintenance, troubleshooting and calibration procedures related to each test performed according to manufacturer and/or internal policy and procedure
- Understanding, implementing and adhering to quality control policies and procedures.
- Assessing and verifying the validity of patient test results through the evaluation of quality sample values prior to reporting patient test results.
- A working knowledge of reagent stability and storage.
- Working knowledge of laboratory information systems essential.
- Appropriate interpersonal skills for interacting with patients, physicians, clients and co-workers.
- Strong verbal communication skills in English for interpersonal and telephone skills.
- Strong writing skills to include, but not limited to, legibility, neatness, and completeness of thought.
- Detail oriented, capable of handling stress from irregular workload and demonstrate businesslike and professional behavior at all times.
Required Licenses: Clinical Lab Technologist-NYS
Phlebotomy experience. ASCP or equivalent. Minimum two years of clinical laboratory generalist experience preferred
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.