NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Research Nurse.
Under the general supervision of the Nurse Manager, the Research Nurse works to provide and maintain comprehensive nursing care to both adult and pediatric patients in a diverse clinical research setting. The quality of care provided results from the ability to assess the health needs of the patients participating in clinical protocols and meeting those needs while achieving and abiding by the protocol requirements. The planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating of patient care activities in the Clinical Research Center is the role of the Research Nurse
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Informs co-workers, by posting or dialogue, of educational programs relevant to the studies ongoing on the Clinical Research Center.Upholds the ethical and moral codes of the health professionals in the maintenance of patient privacy and confidentiality. Practices under the belief in the individual dignity and health rights of every human being.
- Professional Development/Education -Attends related educational programs as well as informal seminars to meet individual learning needs and interest.Actively participates in Clinical Research Centers principal investigator lectures based on upcoming or current protocols.Supports or participates in nursing research.
- Upon completion of assignment, offers assistance, as needed, to other team members involved in patient care tasks.Performs accurate and safe procedures within the scope of the research nurse. Assesses patient and family educational needs and provide teaching about the informed consent process, protocol intervention procedures and its relationship to the disease process.Maintain patient rights and confidentiality with attention to safety concerns for th epatient.
- Demonstrates the ability to assess situations and make critical decisions affecting research procedures.Works with fellow staff members in a team approach to help meet patient/protocol needs, communicating patient problems and progress to all members of the tea.Administer stock medication safely and withy knowledge of hospital policy and procedures.
- Procedures and Nursing Skills - Plans and coordinates care based on both patient and protocol needs; reviews each protocol prior to patient admission or outpatient visit and addresses any questions or concerns to the appropriate person. (e.g., Nurse Manager, Assistant Nurse Manager, Principal Investigator). Accurately transcribes physician treatment plans and orders and Identifies short- and long-term goals and expected outcomes of patient needs and protocol requirements; sets priorities based on each.
- Regularly reviews the protocol to insure that the protocol needs are being fulfilled. Prepares chart for discharge and maintainance and directs the physician in the completion of the discharge summary and other documentation as per center/hospital policy and procedure. Completes nursing discharge summary and provides for or directs the patient/family in obtaining the necessary equipment and/or medication needed upon discharge; instructs the patient/family in the steps necessary for adequate medical follow-up and/or additional hospitalizations. Maintains a copy of patient records care plan, flow sheets, protocol consent, laboratory values, etc. according to hospital policy, NIH and industry requirements.
- Documents accurately and promptly nursing interventions and plan of care in accordance with center, hospital, and protocol policy; daily documents nursing assessment in patients chart; accurately records medication given, treatment rendered, and other nursing interventions. Promptly notifies the Assistant Nurse manager or Nurse Manager about any difficulties that might arise while conducting the protocol requirements and documents.
- Initiates and/or completes data records relating to specific specimen collection required by the protocol. Assesses safety needs of patients and provides such according to center/hospital policy. Continually evaluates and re-evaluates nursing intervention and expected outcomes; updates nursing care plans on an ongoing basis; evaluates patient response to the protocol and to nursing and medical intervention.
- Observes changes in patients status and responds promptly and with reasonable judgment. Alerting the Prinicipal Investigator and/or Nurse Manager. Administers medications safely and with knowledge of cause and effect as well as hospital protocol policy and procedure; accurately and safely performs procedures within the scope and practice of the Clinical Research Center (serial specimen collections, routine endocrine testing, administration of blood and blood products, intravenous insertion for both fluid delivery and research medication and venous access, monitoring of vital signs and adverse events).
- Provides direct care to the research patient utilizing the nursing process, formulating a nursing diagnosis with knowledge within the scope and methodology of the research protocol.
- To qualify you must have a NYS RN License with current registration.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program.
- Bachelors Degree in Nursing, or equivalent combination of education and experience with plans to earn a baccalaureate degree in Nursing.
- Prior RN experience in a clinical setting preferred.
- Experience working with specific indications (department-specific).
- Minimum of 3 years progressively responsible related experience coordinating clinical/research trials studies.
- Proficiency in using various Microsoft Office applications such as World, Excel, Access, Power Point and Outlook.
- Familiar with Internet applications.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, and strong analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels of management and work and communicate effectively with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to work within a team environment as well as independently.
- Commitment to continuous learning as required by department administration.
- Ability to make decisions independently.
- Ability to manage time, multi task and prioritize work.
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems; ability to work well under pressure.
- Registered Nurse License-NYS
- Bachelors Degree in Nursing is highly preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.