Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: $85,000 - $100,000 salary commensurate with experience
Benefits: Generous benefits package
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Classification: Exempt, Full-time
Start Date: Position will remain open until filled.
The Conservation Director position offers an opportunity for an entrepreneurial, highly personable, team-oriented professional to make his/her mark on our organization. We’re looking for an experienced, results-oriented individual with an extensive conservation background. Applicants must have demonstrated know-how and the proven ability to interact with Executive Directors, Program Directors, Development staff, funders and Boards of Directors. We want someone with exceptional communication skills. We are looking for a strong, senior-level professional, who displays energy and professionalism in a participatory manner, to contribute to critical teams.
The Conservation Director is responsible for the supervision of program staff and oversight of all programs of the Grand Canyon Trust. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Conservation Director will develop strategic direction for all programs and ensure intermediate goals and the specific activities to achieve them are implemented by program staff.
Program Management ~ 70%
- Take the lead on developing and updating the strategic plan. This will include organizing strategic planning sessions, meeting with program staff, and finalizing the plan.
- Implement the strategic plan by working with staff to achieve intermediate goals and activities identified in the plan. Meet on a regular basis with staff to mentor and discuss progress.
- Working with the Director of Finance and program staff develop budgets and track expenditures. Meet with the staff on regular basis to review budgets.
- Assist in the implementation of any management-related issues.
Fundraising ~ 15%
- Assist with fundraising activities such as writing letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports. When needed ensure that program staff are meeting their fundraising obligations. Visit major donors as needed.
Administration ~ 10%
- Participate in the development of human resource policies and assist with any program-staff related human resource issues.
- Work with the Communications Director and program staff to ensure the Trust’s program work is effectively communicated through the Trust’s website, bi-annual Advocate newsletter, media, and any other venues determined by the Communications Director.
- Working with Development and Communication staff ensure that writing and other deadlines are being met by program staff.
Other Duties ~ 5%
- Assist with management of donor and grant record keeping and reporting.
- Assist with staff and board meeting preparation.
- Assist with the smooth and efficient running of the office.