POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Library Professional II
DEPARTMENT: Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation (RBSCP)
The Special Collections Outreach, Learning, and Research Librarian coordinates, facilitates, and enhances activities to advance student, faculty and public awareness and use of, learning with, and access to the unique collections held by River Campus Libraries (RCL), in particular in the department of Rare Books, Special Collections, and Preservation (RBSCP) and the Rossell Hope Robbins Library Medieval Studies Library. Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Special Collections and Preservation, the successful candidate will be responsible for design and implementation of library services and instruction programs drawing on a broad range of rare book, manuscript, archival, and digital materials, for coordinating RBSCP and Robbins outreach to academic departments and programs primarily in Arts, Sciences, and Engineering Schools and other partners throughout the University of Rochester, and for supervising one Senior Library Assistant who works in the area of patron services.
Areas of responsibility:
Support for research and scholarship, teaching, and learning (40%):
- Works collaboratively to support research and scholarship, teaching and learning.
- Oversees all reading room and research services activities, coordinating research services efforts providing face-to-face, phone, and electronic reference services; with assistance from Senior Library Assistant provides oversight for daily operations of the Cominsky Reading Room and external requests.
- Coordinates research, learning, and outreach metrics and statistics for RBCSP, creating regular reports, and contributing to Libraries-wide data gathering.
- Develops, coordinates, and assesses RBSCP and Robbins instruction program, including interacting with faculty and departments to address their instruction needs, working closely with faculty to coordinate instruction efforts in the department, creating and assisting with in-person and online presentations, and scheduling use of RBSCP and Robbins spaces for classes.
- Develops responsive and disciplinary-specific research instruction, engage new audiences from across campus disciplines, and increase support for the integration of special collections into undergraduate and graduate curricula.
- Oversees reproduction services, interlibrary loan, and requests for permission to publish.
- Services as the departmental liaison to the Outreach Librarians group.
Support for outreach and exhibition activities (30%):
- Works to initiate new ways of engaging students and the academic community with primary source material.
- Works to aid in the coordination of digital collections workflows and the creation of digital assets from special collections materials.
- Works to market and interpret rare and unique collections for the academic community and the broader public through innovative and engaging physical and digital exhibitions and other targeted educational and public programming, social media, and other creative endeavors.
- Participates in management of the RBSCP and Robbins web presences, development of new and revision of existing web content, providing oversight of departmental social media strategies and implementation, and identifying new opportunities and technologies to enhance outreach and instruction.
- Develops and coordinates community and campus engagement activities and special programming in RBSCP and Robbins.
- Supervises and evaluates one Senior Library Assistant.
- Indirectly supervises patron services students, participating in the student hiring process.
Departmental support and other duties (15%):
- Supports day-to-day operations, assisting in implementing professional standards and best practices for collections security and preservation, and providing input in setting priorities for collection processing and digitization based on patterns of use.
- Maintains currency with library functions, resources, practices and procedures in the areas of Public Service and Outreach.
- Participates in and contributes towards River Campus Libraries and University committees, meetings, and events.
- Maintains professional collaborations with River Campus Libraries colleagues and other campus constituencies.
- Contributes to the profession through active participation in conferences, associations, research, writing, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.