Clinical Research Nurse - (170000RY)
TheDepartment of Pediatrics Administration has a need for a Clinical ResearchNurse to be responsible for independently managing operations of multipleclinical trials that require the expertise and care of a Registered Nurse.The Clinical Research Nurse instructs and counsels patients in researchprocedures, administers treatment procedures, monitors patients duringprocedures, and analyzes patient data. Serves as the primary liaison to otherdepartments, outside organizations, government agencies, and productrepresentatives to promote effective and efficient operation and use ofresources. Provides guidance and direction to personnel engaged in clinicalresearch or trials to ensure compliance with protocols and overall clinicalobjectives.
This is an exempt position and the schedule is 40 hours perweek, Monday through Friday.
UMBoffers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floatingand observed holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance andretirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents atany of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Develops and tracks work flowpolicies, recruitment strategy, and progress through the duration of theresearch study or clinical trial. Collaborates with Principal Investigators andregulatory staff in the preparation of new protocol submissions, protocolamendments, and renewals of ongoing clinical trials.
- Manages interaction with subjectparticipants including eligibility screening, recruitment, enrollment, ensuringinformed consent is properly secured and documented, counseling, and obtainingpatient medical history.
- Manages patient care in compliancewith the research study or clinical trial protocol requirements. Monitorssubject condition while ensuring safety and maintaining confidentiality.Identifies patient problems and makes adjustments to care plans.
- Serves as a patient advocatethroughout the research study or clinical trial. Develops and conducts patientand family education.
- Administers and implements treatmentprocedures or drugs, monitors and studies their effects, and conducts subjectmedical evaluations.
- Monitors activities to ensure compliancewith protocols and all relevant local, federal, and state regulatory andinstitutional policies. Continuously educates and trains personnel oncompliance and protocol. Identifies protocol problems, informs investigators,and assists in problem resolution efforts.
- Manages complex research study orclinical trial data. Develops methods for collection, database storage,tracking, analysis, and interpretation of data.
- Develops and prepares study orresearch related documentation such as protocol worksheets, procedural manuals,adverse event reports, case report forms, and institutional review boarddocuments. Responsible for developing and producing custom and routine reports.Provides expertise in identifying and writing research grants, publications inmedical and nursing literature, study materials, brochures, and correspondence.
- Reviews proposed research study andclinical trial protocols to evaluate factors such as sample collection process,facility location, data management plans, and potential subject risks. Conductsquality assurance audits on data and regulatory documentation. May identifypotential research study and clinical trial opportunities.
- Obtains tissue and blood samples asnecessary and collects information through interviews, questionnaires, testresults, and charts.
- Attends research study or clinicaltrial related meetings, conferences and teleconferences, as well asparticipating in any additional planning and development related activities.
- Provides ongoing training andguidance to less experienced research and nursing personnel.
- Performs other related duties asassigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in nursing oranother discipline appropriate to position strongly preferred.
Experience: Three (3) years of registered nurseexperience with at least one (1) year in research specialization.
Licensure: Registered Nurse in theState of Maryland.
Other: May requiretraining related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance,shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possesses a knowledge of positionrequirements and able to perform position in compliance with allrequirements/regulations/laws. Ability to understand and utilizedscientific/medical terminology and research theory. Ability to gain knowledgeand meet the reporting needs of UMB policies and practices for InstitutionalReview, Human Protections, Animal Protections, etc. Comprehensive knowledge ofresearch principles and practices. Ability to maintain high standards with thework being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumespersonal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions;and learns how to effectively use technology. Maintains productivity and usesknowledge strategies to increase knowledge base. Skill in continuously seekingto improve the quality of services and processes.
- Ability to effectively communicateboth verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presentsinformation in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands writteninformation and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cuesthat lead to a deeper understanding. Skill in ethically communicating risks andbenefits. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work cooperatively withothers and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteousbehavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly andpositively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up withcustomers.
- Skill in patient care and ability toadminister medication and treatments. Ability to handle emergency medicalsituations. Ability to handle medical instruments and equipment.
Hiring Range:Commensurate with education and experience.
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & CareerServices at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. MarylandRelay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veteransand individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E2302E
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: May 8, 2017