Program Specialist - (170000SF)
The University of Maryland,Baltimore (UMB), School of Medicine is currently recruiting for a Program Specialist. The Program Specialist independently assists in the coordination of the Graduate Program in Life Sciences (GPILS) and the Office of Postdoctoral Scholars. This position is expected to function independently, exercise discretion, and contributes to assignments and projects that require significant evaluation, originality, and ingenuity. The Program Specialist provides solutions to issues and judgment outside of pre-established guidelines or processes.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Be main point of contact for general Graduate Program in Life Sciences and Office of Postdoctoral Scholars website and database updates.
- Provides routine and non-routine technical advice, problem solving assistance, answers to questions and program goals and policy interpretation, and administrative support to the program leadership team.
- Assists in conceptualization, development, and drafting of written products such as training materials, website content, final progress reports, promotional materials, recommendations, and other information resources for the improvement of the organizational element or its programs.
- Develop recruiting plan for GPILS program recruitment day activities with program staff. Develop and facilitate applicant visits; coordinate logistics and scheduling of GPILS recruitment day events. Collate applicant recruitment data provided by program staff.
- Assists in evaluating program effectiveness to develop improved methods; devise evaluation methodology and implements; analyze results and recommend and/or take appropriate action. Has the authority to formulate, affect, interpret, or implement policies or procedures to ensure effective operation of the program.
- Assists in Event Planning for both the Graduate Program in Life Sciences and the Office of Postdoctoral Scholars.
- Using state of the art technology and sophisticated searching techniques, conducts in depth research by conducting literature reviews, online searches, and other research tasks to address client/community's complex and unique information requests. Develops and maintains internet web site files and/or listservs.
- Interacts and maintains liaison with students, faculty, staff and outside/community agencies in facilitating program objectives. Serves as a primary contact and thinks critically about all aspects of the program to resolve questions and make decisions related to how to best run the program.
- Prepares or assists in preparation of grant proposal/submission for funding and/or funding continuation from outside sponsors for faculty in the division.
- Performs other administrative duties having a significant impact on the overall goals of program.
Education: Bachelor's degree in related field.
Experience: Two (2) years related administrative/program experience.
Consideration may be given for a unique combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possess knowledge of program. Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology. Skill in relevant PC applications and program such as a Microsoft Office. Maintains productivity and uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base.
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision. Ability to effectively attend to various duties on simultaneous assignments. Ability to develop new methods for operation and/or streamlining of processes. Skill in exercising initiative, resourcefulness, and sound judgment with an ability to solve problems and make decisions. Ability to prioritize ongoing and new projects necessary to implementation a specific organizational program.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E1431D
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: SOM Rsch & Grad Studies
: May 8, 2017
: May 27, 2017, 11:59:00 PM