| EOE Statement:|
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location:
This position is in the Department of Surgery Business Services Organization. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Position will manage the clinical operations of the Department of Surgery by coordinating the delivery of clinical services among the five Clinical Divisions (Cardiothoracic Surgery, General Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Urologic Surgery).
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in the analysis for potential new clinical locations for the Department of Surgery and coordinates the start-up of new offices. Facilitates the implementation of new physician practice models for clinical operations in the Department (on-site/off-site). Coordinates the development of operational and space plans to support the physician practice models.
- Ensures the best clinical care of our patients and facilitates best practices, process improvements and standardization among the clinics and our overall clinical operations.
- Analyzes referring physician patterns and makes recommendations to improve these relationships to ensure easy access to our system.
- Assists with the design of integrated systems and processes to support clinical operations including customer service, registration, scheduling and electronic medical records. This position will work closely with the Department of Surgery’s Billing Operations to ensure that the efficiencies/effectiveness of the processes are in coordination to provide an excellent patient experience, as well as maximizing clinical revenue.
- Assists in the implementation of optimized staffing models and coordination of the clinical staff.
- Interacts with each clinical area within our department, as well as other clinical departments, on a regular basis. Maintains a customer service environment for patients, faculty and staff. Develops, maintains and enhances good working relationships with external and internal constituents.
- Stays abreast of changing regulations that may impact clinical operations.
- Develops and maintains, in conjunction with the Faculty Practice Plan, a clinical operations manual of standard operating procedures.
- Serves as the primary clinical operations contact for all Clinical and Office Coordinators, providing assistance with clinical staff counseling, giving advice and guidance as needed, assisting with operating room block scheduling issues, and ensuring the use of proper systems and procedures.
- Direct supervision of the multispecialty patient offices at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital, Christian Northeast Hospital and Barnes-Jewish St. Peters Hospital.
- Direct supervision of the Medical Assistant float pool.
- Coordinates the MA, PA/NP Externships.
- Serves as a HIPAA liaison for the Department of Surgery.
- Works with the various specialties within the Department of Surgery to determine potential needs for Telemedicine and coordinates implementation.
- Coordinates patient complaints for the Department of Surgery -- discusses complaints with patients and/or their family members, and coordinates the proper resolution with the faculty/staff.
- Coordinates the patient satisfaction surveys for the Department of Surgery, develops strategies for continual improvement in the scores, and works with individual specialties to implement changes.
- Works with each clinic site to maximize co-pay collections.
- Coordinates the arbitration agreements with the various clinics in the Department of Surgery.
- Monitors the clinic utilization and access of appointments on a regular basis, makes recommendations, as well as help to implement strategies for improvements.
- Works closely with faculty/staff to improve the utilization of our electronic medical record system (currently Allscripts/transitioning to Epic).
- Improves operational workflows, making sure that the system is being used as efficiently as possible, ensure ongoing compliance of the system, and assist with implementation of the “Meaningful Use” regulations.
- Serve as the Risk Management liaison for the Department of Surgery.
- Coordinates and runs Administrative Leadership Council (ALC) meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Progressive management experience required.
- 5-7 years experience in an academic health center, hospital or healthcare industry setting.
- Master’s degree is preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of physician practice operations and management
- Direct clinical operations experience, along with a working knowledge of medical terminology, patient billing and accounts receivable is preferred
- Strong professional, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Interact successfully with personnel (at all levels) at individual sites, hospitals and with other departments within Washington University
- Proactive thought leader
- Excellent communication skills
- Good analytical skills
- Understanding of relationships with outside entities that affect our clinical operations
- Establish and maintain systems for regulatory documents and communications
- Experience in organizing and/or conducting clinical office activity
- Ability to function at a high level of independent decision making without direct supervision
The hiring range for this position is commensurate with experience.
-Retirement Savings Plan
-22 vacation days
-8 Paid Holidays
-Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
-Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
-Free Life Insurance
-Health, Dental, Vision
-Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
-Long Term Disability Insurance
-Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
Internal Applicant Instruction:
This position is grade G15.
Please attach a copy of your most current signed performance evaluation (completed within the last 18 months) to your online account. If you have not received a performance evaluation, you may provide two current signed letters of recommendation (written within the last 18 months), preferably to include one letter from either a current or recent former supervisor. To attach these documents, go to: My Career Tools, Add Attachment, Attachment Type – Performance Reviews or Letters of Recommendation.