The College of New Jersey has an opportunity for the position of Security Officer to supplement the Department of Campus Police.
- Protection of Buildings, Contents and Occupants from Hazards
- Visually inspects window bars, doors, locks and other fixtures to make sure that they are secure or properly locked and have not been tampered with in order to prevent theft, unlawful entry, etc.
- Inspects assigned areas for those conditions that may contribute to fire (e.g., discarded burning cigarettes) and sees to it that fire extinguishers are in place and undisturbed and/or operational.
- Patrols on in order to detect hazards such as fire, theft, or vandalism.
- Examines credentials at entry points to buildings or facilities in order to prevent entry by unauthorized persons and to maintain a permanent record of those using the facility.
- Requests verbal or written information from individuals pertaining to their destination, their identity and the nature of their visit.
- Provides security for resident halls.
- Provides safety escorts for campus community.
- Removes unwilling persons from premises after issuing a verbal warning regarding a rule violation concerning disorderly conduct, loitering, or unauthorized entry.
- Aids a law enforcement officer by accompanying prisoners to a designated location in order to watch and report on the movements or conduct of the prisoners and/or other individuals.
- Evacuate occupants of building during times of impending danger.
- Provides traffic control as needed.
- Prevents entry or use of a restricted area.
- Graduation from a high school or vocational high school or possession of an approved high school equivalent certificate.
- New Jersey driver's license in good standing
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment physical
This position is a classified position with the state title Security Officer and is included for membership in the International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers (IFPTE) bargaining unit. Permanent appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a 4-month probationary period to access the ability to perform the essential functions of the position. The starting salary for this position is in Range C13, step 1, $35,760.79.
This position includes a comprehensive benefit package including pension, health, dental, and prescription plans as well as generous sick and vacation leave allowances. Position may require non-standard work hours (nights, weekends and holidays).
Qualifications for this position include a high school diploma and a valid New Jersey driver's license.
Preferred qualifications include 2 years of work experience or Police Training Commission Certification, SORA Certification and/or first responder certification.
To apply, send a letter of interest, resume, and names of three professional references. Resumes will be considered through July 7th, 2017. Submissions received after that date will only be considered if a suitable candidate has not been identified.
Any resulting employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by The College of New Jersey.
Under a new residency bill signed into law by Governor Chris Christie, any individual hired on, or after September 1, 2011, will be required to establish a principal residence in New Jersey unless their position is exempt. New employees will have a full 365 days to establish such residence, from the effective date of hire. Any new employee who believes that they have a critical need to live outside of New Jersey, or that a move to a permanent residence within the state would constitute a hardship, may request an exemption from the provisions of the law by appealing to a five-member committee to be established by the State for the purpose of hearing such appeals.
To enrich education through diversity, The College of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College has a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff, and strongly encourages women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.