Preqin is an award-winning independent research company and a leading provider of data and intelligence to the alternative asset industry. Headquartered in London, we are rapidly growing and have an increasingly global reach with offices in New York, San Francisco, Singapore, Hong Kong and Manila.
Preqin's clients unclude some of the world's largest fund managers, investment banks, legal firms, institutional investors, financial advisors, placement agents and service providers within the financial services industry. Key decision-makers at these firms rely on Preqin's daily, and the company's data is regularly quoted by the financial press.
The Private Equity & Venture Capital Deals research team strives to ensure that Preqin's coverage of private equity buyouts and exits along with venture capital financing rounds is accurate, up to date and comprehensive as possible. The team is a fast-growing division within the global Research team and the role presents an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated individual with experience in research across the private equity, venture capital or M&A industry.
The role is primarily focused on tracking and researching these deals globally along with maintaining the deals database. Preqin users expect and depend on the data to be of the highest quality, something you will be expected to contribute towards. Opportunities are also available to contribute towards the production of bespoke data analysis for Preqin users and the financial press as well as Preqin's reports and publications.
Due to the global coverage of deals, languages (particularly German or French) are highly desirable.
- Daily tracking of online news and conducting in-depth online research on private equity and venture capital deals
- Processing and inputting of deal information onto the online databases in a timely manner
- Reviewing large amounts of data from multiple sources and curating the relevant facts
- Performing data quality assurance checks and liaising with the Deals team in other offices to provide feedback on the quality of their output
- Occasionally communicating with fund managers via phone and email to obtain accurate information on their investments
- Occasionally performing statistical analysis using MS Excel and putting together reports for publications and client data requests
- Writing in the 'house' style to compose online profiles and occasionally provide input to reports and publications
- With experience, the candidate will be expected to take on training and mentoring of the new team members as well as responsibility for sections of the data to become an expert in that research area
Key skills and attributes required:
- Ideally at least 12 months experience working in a research capacity covering private equity / venture capital / M&A deals, however candidates with less experience will also be considered.
- Excellent research abilities, being able to exhibit persistence, patience and a keen eye for detail to successfully gather valuable information
- Comfortable working with numerical data
- Analytical thinker
- Proactive approach to dealing with issues, investigating anomalies and a desire to get to the bottom of a problem
- A keen interest in the finance industry and a drive to acquire knowledge is essential
- Diligence to meet targets and quality standards
- Strong team player with the ability and enthusiasm to work independently
- Experience in training, mentoring and supervising more junior team members is beneficial
- Fluent in a European language (particularly German or French) is highly desirable
Preqin offers a competitive remuneration package with the basic salary ranging from £26,000 to £28,000 per annum, depending on experience, along with a quarterly performance related bonus worth upwards of £2,000 per annum and an annual company bonus. Consistently high-performing team members can expect elevated performance bonuses and other benefits such as the opportunity to travel.
In addition to the competitive remuneration package, Preqin also offers:
- Sponsored study to undertake professional training or to gain a qualification relevant to your career progression
- A pension plan under auto-enrolment. After one year of service the company will enhance employer contributions to match on a one for one basis up to 10% of annual salary
- Share scheme – with an annual allocation to those with over one year of service
- Free access to gym and swimming pool in the office building
- An interest-free season ticket loan on completion of probation (which is normally 3 months)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers