The Senior Systems Administrator completes efforts and projects related to the design, installation, operation, support, upgrades and maintenance of infrastructure, including software, servers, networking and storage. Administers, maintains and supports complex and critical infrastructure. Provides user support for server hosting requests, problem resolution, system changes and upgrades. Analyzes infrastructure performance and resolves problems or makes appropriate recommendations. Ensures that all aspects of operability are delivered as part of the implementation process while also ensuring that existing service level is maintained or improved. Contributes to and ensures full compliance to operational standards, procedures and best practices.
Please note: On some occasions, this position will possibly work after hours and/or weekends depending on issues or projects.
- Leads planning, development, and coordination of operations and projects for current and future infrastructures.
- Anticipates impact of growth and changes in operations, and recommends design and/or process changes.
- Participates in disaster recovery/business continuity planning including backup and recovery procedures and higher availability configurations.
- Ensures data/media recoverability by implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations.
- Serves as project liaison – implementations or upgrades, acts as the focal point for communications between the project and the team.
- Facilitates coordination and a thorough understanding of requirements, attends project meetings, creates written meeting notes, creates appropriate ticketing, and documentation for all projects and workflows.
- Maintains policies and standard procedures to increase system uptime.
- Identifies training needs and keeps current on application technologies.
- Monitors security alerts and ensures that appropriate patches are applied in an automated and timely fashion; works with developers to patch or upgrade custom code for security compliance.
- Documents and maintains system standards; researches and recommends innovative approaches for system administration tasks.
- Creates and maintains standard OS installation images for virtualization templates.
- Monitors application performance on servers.
- Evaluates and manages appropriate software and hardware allocations to achieve an optimum performance level.
- Performs capacity planning for projecting future growth.
- In collaboration with development project teams, builds, rebuilds, and/or updates servers and configures hardware and virtual machines (VM), applications, peripherals, services, networking, storage.
- Leads troubleshooting of application, operating system(s) server hardware, network communications and storage issues within infrastructure.
- Provides a second level of support; leads service incident and problem resolution efforts to support entrusted applications/products.
- Provides user support on deployed servers.
- Consults on best practices to users.
- Provides data and metrics to support sizing requirements and performance tuning decisions. Participate in related decision processes with managers and leads.
- Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
- Oversees consultants and contractors on any current and future server and infrastructure related projects
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as computer science, information technology, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 4 years system administration or other relevant experience required.
- Experience with the following:
- Enterprise Applications: ImageNow.
- Infrastructure: active directory design, administration, High Performance Computing (HPC), Juniper routers, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook), Oracle and Oracle RAC, Server hardware, Service Orienteted Architecture (SOA), VMware vCloud Director, VMware vSphere, Windows Operating System, Other: Lefthand/HP SAN administration.
- Certification/Licensure: Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MCSA), Oracle, VMware, Other: ArcServe backup and restore.
- Analytical: critical thinking, enterprise architecture, enterprise directory services, judgment, problem solving, Troubleshooting, use-case analysis.
- Project: collaboration and teamwork, cost/benefit analysis, evaluate resources, functional documentation, iterative & incremental development, organizational skills, planning.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Windows Active Directory.
- ArcServe Backup Systems.
- PIX or equivalent Firewall ACL.
- VCenter and/or VDirector.
- Lefthand SAN Administration.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Microsoft Azure.
- Cloud Service Administration.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.