| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Human Oncology and Pathogenesis Program (HOPP) at Memorial Sloan Kettering was founded to address the challenges presented by cancer research in the era of targeted therapies. By bringing together researchers in many disciplines, our goal is to advance scientific knowledge while bridging discoveries made in the laboratory with those made in the clinic.
As a Research Assistant in the Human Oncology and Pathogenesis Program (HOPP) you will work under minimal supervision on laboratory experiments/projects of diverse scope to resolve a wide range of issues while making detailed observations, analyzing data and interpreting results according to laboratory procedures.
- Independently design, plan, and develop new methods and technologies for project advancement.
- Assist with training junior lab members
- Prepare reagents, stains, immunological assays, casting electrophoresis gels, isolating and purifying substances, and making analytical measurements
- Maintenance of Mouse Colony: Responsible for animal health checks, shipments, transfers, weaning, recording birth data, tail cutting, tail bleeding, and genotyping
- Perform animal breeding and genotyping. Perform in vitro and in vivo studies including injecting animals (tail vein injections), collecting and harvesting various tissues and fluids, performing animal autopsies, making chemical identification and analysis, retro-orbital bleeding, performing drug administration by introperitoneal injection or oral gavages
- Operate equipment and instruments such as microscopes, spectrophotometers, centrifuges, pH meters, and other standard laboratory equipment
- BA or BS in Biological or Natural Science with 5+ years of relevant research experience or Master’s with 3+ years of relevant experience
- Experience with animal care and experimentation highly preferred
- Experience with a variety cell and molecular biology techniques including but not limited to mammalian tissue culture, Western Blots, PCR, DNA extraction and sequencing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision #LI-GS
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.