Central Washington University
Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Full/Part Time Full-Time
The Director of Community and Corporate Relations is responsible for developing strategic relationships and philanthropic partnerships with individuals, private organizations, and corporations. To achieve these goals, the Director performs a number of related outreach functions, including information gathering, strategy development, relationship- and partnership-building, prospect research direction and analysis, project in-take and screening, and activities that encourage cross-unit collaboration and facilitate the creation of interdisciplinary proposals. The work will focus on building relationships with individuals, organizations and corporations capable of supporting and sustaining the new CWU Sammamish campus, and providing major gifts and grants (defined as a gift of $25,000 or greater) to support innovative education , scholarship and program support priorities across a range of disciplines at both the Westside Centers and Ellensburg campus.
Frontline Fundraising & Community Relations:
- Manage a portfolio of organizations with major gift capacity ($25,000 or greater) and with broad interest in the university.
- Develop, review and refine proposals to achieve optimum alignment of university needs and funding opportunities with corporate and foundation giving programs and priorities.
- Steward proposals through the submission and review process, working with appropriate faculty, deans and other university personnel.
- Liaise with community stakeholders and develop relationships pertinent for supporting site operations and continued growth.
- Represent CWU-Sammamish at relevant community meetings and events
- Initiate introductions between CWU faculty, staff, and students and community partners.
Strategic Development, Planning and Reporting:
- Collaborate with the CWU-Sammamish Site Director, Executive Director of Extended Learning, and the Associate Provost for Extended Learning and Outreach regarding opportunities and planning.
- In consultation with the CWU-Sammamish Site Director, Executive Director of Extended Learning, and the Associate Provost for Extended Learning and Outreach contribute to the strategic plan for CWU-Sammamish with a focus on community outreach.
- In consultation with the Associate Vice President & Vice President of University Advancement, develop and implement strategies for obtaining support for university and unit priorities from foundations and corporations.
- Consult with and advise university advancement staff in achieving school/college/program goals for enhanced support from foundations and corporations.
- Advise faculty and academic administrators in proposal-development strategies with corporations and foundations.
- Research and provide responsive and well-informed advice regarding organization funding sources and proposal-development strategies to faculty and staff.
- Initiate and conduct strategy-development meetings with faculty, Deans, and advancement staff.
- Provide regular progress reports and provide plan updates and revisions as necessary.
- Provide regular reports on status and activity to the AVP & VP of University Advancement.
- Assume the management of special projects as assigned by the AVP & VP of University Advancement.
- Attend conferences and meetings and enroll in appropriate training sessions to ensure continued professional development.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of Corporate and Community Relations.
- Determine appropriate corporate meetings and create briefing materials in collaboration with the Associate Vice President & Vice President of University Advancement.
- As assigned by the AVP & VP of University Advancement, accompany faculty and academic leaders on visits.
- As needed to facilitate the competitive review process for draft (concept) proposals, prepare and distribute requests for proposals to appropriate academic leaders and advancement staff.
- Coordinate and prioritize faculty and staff research requests (i.e. those to corporate and foundation entities) and disseminate prospect research findings in clear and concise way based on achieving maximum strategic outcome.
- Communicate with and brief university advancement staff about alums within corporate and foundation organizations, and ways to maximize organization and individual giving.
- Conduct training sessions with faculty and development staff on issues related to corporate and foundation relations and fundraising in general.
- Liaise with the CWU Public Affairs office regarding possible news items, publicity opportunities, and positive university exposure.
- Advise the CWU-Sammamish Site Director and Executive Director of Extended Learning on marketing opportunities relevant to community outreach and heightened university visibility.
- Other Duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree and five years of progressively responsible experience in fundraising and public/community relations, including experience developing complex proposals that focus on individual and corporate donors.
- Experience working with corporate executives and other relevant professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to move major donor prospects from identification and qualification through cultivation and solicitation to closing and stewardship.
- Demonstrated strong writing skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated strong oral communication skills and ability to connect with a variety of stakeholder groups.
- Or any combination of education and experience, which clearly demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Experience using Blackbaud's Raisers-Edge software.
- Master's degree.
- Familiarity with the Sammamish Plateau and surrounding areas.
- Experience performing prospect research and qualification.
- Knowledge of alumni relations/development/advancement principles.
- Experience working within a higher education setting.
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgment: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: Dependent upon qualifications and experience
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch) / Occasional evenings, weekends, and travel required.
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer work station for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. Some evening or weekend work and travel will be required. This position is housed at CWU-Sammamish.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: June 4, 2017
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Name: Rick Paradis
Title: Associate Vice President of University Advancement
Phone: (509) 963-2703
Website: University Advancement
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.