Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) launched Metro21 in July 2014. It is devoted to enriching the university's research and development capabilities to address the challenges facing metropolitan areas. The Metro21 Institute's vision is to significantly and measurably improve the metropolitan quality of life. The Metro21 Institute is looking for an Executive Director whose role will be to ensure adherence to this vision, by handling the affairs of the Institute under the supervision of the Director.
The Executive Director will execute the following primary responsibilities:
- Actively assisting the Director and faculty in developing proposals for funding,
- Developing necessary partnerships with corporate, non-profit and governmental partners for funding as well as piloting/deploying the products of R&D projects,
- Winning funding support for the Institute and RD&D projects by building and capitalizing on relationships with governmental, foundation and corporate funding sources,
- Establishing positive working relationships with partners and decision makers in the public, private, academic and philanthropic sectors,
- Coordinating and facilitating the development of agreements, contracts, etc. related to funding and as necessary for real-world deployments,
- Developing and maintaining communications including websites, presentation material, and reports,
- Preparing and making presentations describing and promoting the Institute,
- Organizing Institute events, workshops, and seminars,
- Coordinating external and internal advisory boards and councils,
- Representing the Institute in implementing various MOU's (e.g. City of Pittsburgh, County of Allegheny, MetroLab Network, Southwestern Pa. Regional Data Network),
- Representing the Institute at various events including conferences, workshops and meetings,
- Recruiting and hiring additional staff if needed with the approval of the Director,
- Managing the budget, financial and reporting systems,
- Assisting where appropriate in commercializing the results of the Institute's RD&D results, and
- Coordinating staff of Metro21 entities to accomplish the above.
- May also assist faculty in developing related curriculum and educational programs including executive training, and handle facility and equipment matters.
You are someone who thrives in a dynamic and rapidly changing environment where you find satisfaction in contributing on both a strategic and tactical scale. We are looking for someone who demonstrates a strong resonance with the mission of the Metro21 Institute and who brings enthusiasm and capacity to the task of developing an innovative and efficient operational structure. You should demonstrate the ability to work effectively with the city, university, and industry partners and operate in a cross-disciplinary environment in the academic, non-profit, philanthropic, business and government realms. A firm grasp of challenges in both the research university environment and government circles is critical to success.
We will select an effective, engaging, active and compelling communicator, able to convene and work with groups with diverse objectives. The person selected will display flexibility and innovation, integrity, a strong moral compass, knowledge and expertise in the issues impacting the field, and will promote a culture of diversity and inclusion. You should have a successful track record of fundraising and building a sustainable operational model.
- Master's or PhD preferred, with a minimum of A bachelor's degree in a related field and significant experience will also be considered.
- Considerable managerial and entrepreneurial experience in a complex and decentralized organization, including at least 10-12+ years of relevant experience, or 15+ years in combination with a Bachelor's degree
- Demonstrated success in similar positions with positive references would be considered a plus
Please visit Why Carnegie Mellon to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world. http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/index.html. A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.html.
Carnegie Mellon University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.