NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Plant Operating Mechanic.
This position installs, troubleshoots, and repairs instrumentation, controls, computers, and electrical systems of the combined cycle power plant. This includes, but is not limited to the gas turbine, steam turbine, generators, heat recovery steam generator, gas compressors, air compressors, water treatment equipment, demineralizers, motors, pumps, and other auxiliary equipment. Strictly adheres to all safety and environmental rules and regulations to protect employees and public safety.
- Demonstrates the ability to make competent decisions in emergency situations. Capable of writing operating procedures, work requests, and purchase requisitions.
- Performs capital project and/or major program responsibilities as assigned by the Maintenance Manager or Facility Manager.
- Keeps the Maintenance Manager fully informed of unusual plant conditions and current job progress as the job relates to facility maintenance and projects.
- Reads meters, gauges, or automatic devices to record data such as temperature of equipment, vibration of equipment, hours of operation, pressure, and fluid levels, water chemistry to verify operating conditions.
- Performs (with assistance as needed) the maintenance of equipment by cleaning, adjusting, tightening, performing preventative or corrective maintenance and identifying equipment in need of corrective maintenance. Writes, submits and clears corrective work orders for approval.
- Ability to perform routine generator electrical system test and inspections to the extent qualified and or supervise an outside contractor as required.
- Installs, repairs, calibrates and troubleshoots instrumentation and controls.
- Identify and resolve CEMS problems. Capable of performing system calibrations and gas bottle change outs.
- Proficient at troubleshooting and inspecting programmable logic controllers, distributive control systems including control card replacement and wiring terminations.
- Proficient with using electrical multi-meters (e.g. Fluke meter) and other test equipment to calibrate and repair plant instrumentation and electrical circuits.
- Diagnoses and repairs the cause of instrument malfunctions and electric system malfunctions of equipment such as transmitters, transformers, relays, switches, and generator monitoring and controls systems, medium and high voltage distribution systems and monitoring devices.
- Must have a High School Diploma.
- Five (5) years experience in plant operations and/or maintenance.
- OSHA 10 plus Fire Safety/emergency Action Plan Director/fire alarm/fuel oil/ others as needed certificate of fitness holder or ability to obtain one within 6-12 months of employment.
- Experience with Solar gas turbine operation desired.
- Experience with boilers and high pressure steam operations desired.
- Must have a firmly demonstrated commitment to safety, with strong leadership, supervisory and people skills.
- Must possess good communication skills - written and oral, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to effectively interface with others.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.