NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a HIM Documentation Technician.
This position will perform analysis and reanalysis of inpatient and outpatient records in accordance with departmental policies and procedures, as well as assist Medical Staff with chart correction and completion process.
- Provides training to incoming staff as needed.
- Assists clinicians with Chart Correction functions. Provides general technical directions on how to correct documentation errors within electronic patient records.
- Works closely with other members of the HIM Department including the Release of Information team, Coding staff and the HIM Management to ensure that complete documentation is received in a timely fashion.
- Performs record reanalysis and updates the Suspension List regularly to ensure that the Medical Staff admitting and/or attending privileges are suspended or reinstated in a timely fashion.
- Communicates regularly with the Medical Staff, including the Chief Medical Officer, regarding incomplete medical records.
- Creates and maintains a weekly list of physicians who are `eligible for suspension of admitting, attending and operating room privileges.
- Relies on judgment to determine if a dictated report needs to be transcribed in an expedited manner and contacts the transcription vendor to facilitate stat requests. Assists HIM Leadership with enforcing the Medical Staff Suspension Policy.
- Monitors and oversees the dictation and transcription process to ensure that turn-around times are met by the transcription vendor. Communicates with the transcription vendor to resolve pending issues. Monitors various work queues in EPIC, as well as the review queue in the dictation system; contacts responsible providers when clarification is needed.
- Assists and guides the Medical Staff with documentation completion in EPIC and ancillary systems.
- Performs electronic analysis and reanalysis of inpatient and outpatient records in accordance with departmental policies and procedures. Creates and monitors reports to ensure that deficiencies are resolved and completed appropriately.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have a High School Diploma with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a health care facility in an area directly related to the position, demonstrating proficiency in electronic medical records analysis or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong communication and computer skills required.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Understanding of documentation requirements in accordance with The Joint Commission standards and NYS DOH Rules and Regulations.
- RHIT or RHIA credentials.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.