About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Capital Project Manager (SPM), the Assistant Capital Project Manager (APM) will assist the SPM and Capital Project Managers (PM) with leading the execution of multiple assigned capital outlay projects from conception through completion using a variety of contracting methods. Projects range from moderate to advanced difficulty and complexity. Assist the SPM and PM with the management and coordination of the project team (Architects/Engineers, consultants, contractors, stakeholders, etc.) and provide support to senior managers to achieve successful project outcomes. Ensure design and construction optimizes university program goals, while conforming to the project's established criteria for scope, cost, schedule and quality. Assist the SPM and PM with managing assigned projects and coordinating the involvement of all participants in the design, value engineering, document review, construction, occupancy, close out, warranty, and financial management processes.
- Advanced degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Engineering, or Building Construction; OR training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree.
- Working knowledge of site/building design and construction processes including LEED requirements.
- Experience with project management software including Autodesk products, SharePoint and MS Office.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Excellent communications, team building, organizational negotiation, project
management, and records management skills.
- Ability to create and manage a team to meet project goals;
- Proven customer service skills.
- Ability to interpret design/construction documents and effectively administer contracts.
- Ability to read/interpret construction schedules and have knowledge of building codes and construction means and methods.
- Registered/Licensed Architect or Engineer in Virginia (as defined by the Code of Virginia), or Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Design/Build, Design/Bid/Build, and Construction Manager-at-Risk construction experience.
- Knowledge of construction delivery scheduling software (MS Project, Primavera, BIM/Revit, LaserFiche, etc.) and Microsoft Office programs.
- Demonstrated ability and experience managing new construction and major renovation projects of high complexity from concept through completion.
- Previous construction experience in a higher education setting.
- Previous experience working with the Bureau of Capital Outlay Management, a university building official, or similar office.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Restricted
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 06/01/2017