Posting Number 2017-3074
Posted Date 5/4/2017
School/Division NYU Tandon School of Engineering (PE1001)
Department Name : NYU Tandon School of Engineering
The NYU Tandon MakerSpace is seeking an Assistant Manager to support lab operations. The Assistant Manager will be responsible for operation of the space in the manager's absence and will work the late shift in the space. The Assistant Manager will participate in development of policies and procedures for Makerspace access and usage, departmental programs, and safety procedures, and will be responsible for the technical operations of the equipment. The position will supervise student workers in the space and set work schedules. The Assistant Manager will be responsible for maintaining and repairing any makerspace equipment or for coordinating an outside contractor to maintain the equipment.
Responsibilities include supervision or development of:
- Material usage tracking system
- 3D printer usage statistics and remote control system
- Hands-on workshops at the introductory and advanced levels
- Optimization of chemical bath system for 3D prints
- Student worker training, skills and mastery list, student worker office hours
- Student project storage request and logging
The successful candidate will have experience supervising students and working within an academic environment. The position requires a highly motivated, energetic candidate with attention to detail.
About the NYU Tandon MakerSpace:
The NYU Tandon MakerSpace is a cutting edge lab created to foster collaborative design projects. The space is open to all NYU students, staff, and faculty. It features rapid prototyping and PCB production equipment, as well as advanced machining and testing capabilities.
The MakerSpace was designed to support and encourage project-based learning at all levels and provides training and workshops on machine usage, prototyping skills, and design. Usage of the MakerSpace equipment has been integrated into the curriculum of several departments throughout the Tandon School of Engineering. It serves as a tech hub connecting NYU students to the broader NYC tech community, the NYU Future Labs, and local incubators and startups. The space also supports the local community by hosting many courses and design projects from the Center for K12 STEM Education. Diversity of use and thought are encouraged, with over 3000 users from 18 different schools across the university using the space in its inaugural year.
Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field, 1-2 years of relevant experience
Experience with two or more of the following technologies and some knowledge of the rest: 3D printing, laser cutting and engraving, injection molding, milling, waterjet cutting, PCB fabrication and design, Raspberry Pi, Arduino or other microcontroller systems, 3D scanning, digital design and modeling software (SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Rhino, etc), CNC fabrication, or related DIY/makerspace technologies
Preferred Other Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
- Experience in developing Environmental Health and Safety procedures for a lab environment
- Interest or experience in open source hardware and software, video and audio production
- Demonstrated ability providing small group instruction, workshops, and tutorials
- Ability to interact and engage effectively with an ethnically and culturally diverse student population
- Creative problem solving instincts and ability to quickly learn and utilize non-traditional tools
- Exceptional at making a positive impression through communication including very strong verbal, writing, and presentation skills
- Skills in new media communication such as blogs, websites, and social platforms
- Demonstrated organizational and decision-making abilities to prioritize competing work assignments in order to meet deadlines and adherence to quality standards
- Ability to use and/or create systems and technology as tools to scale your work effectively
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity