- Bachelor’s Degree in English or Communication or in a related area.
- A minimum of 3 -5 years grant writing experience with record of successfully funded grants, preferably at an environment-related non-profit.
ABILITIES, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS
- Excellent writing, analytical, and research skills.
- Excellent logic/problem-solving skills and ability to synthesize information and communicate in a compelling and succinct form.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and work under tight deadlines.
- Must be self-motivated, detail oriented, and highly organized.
- Must have experience using donor management databases, such as DonorPerfect Fundraising Software, and other resources to locate biographical, financial, and philanthropic information; excellent computer skills (Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, and internet research).
- A solid understanding of budgets as they relate to proposals and grant reporting.
- Strong social media skills a plus.
- Willingness to work extended hours/days for occasional events and special projects as required.
- Ability to work well with others as part of a team and to work independently.
- Commitment to maintaining good donor relations, confidentiality, and accurate records.
- Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, visitors, and general public.
- Personal enthusiasm, optimism, and humor, and comfort with creative processes.
Friends offer excellent benefits including medical insurance, generous paid leave, and a retirement match after two years of employments. Salary commensurate with experience. Friends of the Chicago River is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email a resume and cover letter in one PDF file describing: 1) your interest in this position, 2) the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above, 3) salary history and salary requirements. Please attach also one writing sample. Cover letter can be addressed to the attention of Kim Olsen-Clark, Director of Development. Please submit within the NPO.net system by using the "Apply Now" button in this ad. No applications will be considered without a personalized cover letter detailing the applicant's specific interest in this position.
In message to employer, please state: re: Development Writer & Grants Manager. No calls, direct emails, or USPS mail please. Start date July 17, 2017.