ACE Technical Charter High School (ACE Tech) was founded in 2004 to increase the number of urban, low-income, minority and female youth who enter the architecture, construction, and engineering professions. ACE Tech’s mission is to provide our students with the rigorous academic instruction combined with exemplary character development and career exposure, preparing them for postsecondary and apprenticeship education and sustained lifelong success. While many of ACE Tech’s students are interested in architecture, construction, and engineering professions, the school serves students with a wide variety of interests and career aspirations. The school seeks to broaden students’ perspectives on future career opportunities while providing them with a strong academic foundation. ACE Tech serves approximately 400 students from Chicago’s Washington Park, Back of the Yards, Englewood and surrounding south side neighborhoods.
Description of Position
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) position is a new leadership role at ACE Tech, and will oversee administrative and fiscal operations for this single site charter school. The COO position reports to the Board of Directors and works alongside the Principal, who manages the instructional program. The COO is responsible for all leadership and management issues related to the business side of the school, including but not limited to finance, human resources, facilities, technology, advocacy, board governance, compliance, and external relations. The COO will help develop and lead an efficient and productive administrative structure at ACE Tech, ensuing a high quality educational environment for our students, and a professional workplace for our teachers and staff.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages, reviews, and oversees organizational budgets, and prepared and reviews quarterly and annual financial statements
- Leads and reviews Chicago Public School compliance and public funding reporting
- Manages annual financial audit
- Supervises maintenance, food service, security and information technology staff or contractors
- Manages maintenance systems and procedures to ensure efficiency and cost-effectiveness
- Identifies, analyzes and coordinates all capital projects
- Oversees annual maintenance projects with both internal staff and outside vendors
- Supervises Business Office Assistant, athletic department coaches, and all other organizational employees not assigned to instructional program positions. Instructional program positions are managed by the Principal.
- Develops, monitors, effectively implements all policies and procedures related to hiring and terminations, in collaboration with the Principal
- Manages relationships with payroll business partner
- Coordinates benefit plans and manages relationship with legal advisors for general HR issues
- Oversees all policies and procedures related to payroll
- Manages relationships with the Chicago Teacher Pension Fund and retirement savings representatives
- Serves on the Finance Committee of the Board, and attends all board meetings
- Leads monthly Finance committee meetings
- Prepares and delivers reports to the board on school operations including, but not limited to, Finance, Facility, Advocacy and Human Resources
- Ensures adherence to by-laws and legal compliance requirements
- Acts as FOIA Officer (responds to all FOIA requests)
- Ensures updated board roster, contact information and other board records
- Participates in CPS, Charter and neighborhood advocacy groups as assembled
- Represents ACE Tech in INCS meetings and legislative advocacy, in collaboration with the Principal
- Keeps board informed on advocacy issues
- Manages relationship with any third-party contractors (e.g. event planners) for development initiatives
- Contributes to and coordinates school publications, and website updates
- Collaborates with board members to engage industry representatives for fundraising purposes (e.g. architecture, construction and engineering firms)
- Develops and maintains relationships with other single site charter schools and external partners
- With Principal, develops and leads student recruitment strategy
ACE Tech Board members and select staff will engage with candidates in a robust interview process as we identify ACE Tech’s new Chief Operating Officer. References will be required prior to offer, and a background check will be conducted once contingent offer is made.
ACE Technical Charter High School is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit. We strongly encourage and seek qualified applications from underrepresented groups.