Business Operations Manager - (170000RE)
The Business Operations Manager isresponsible for supporting the overall business operations of an entiredivision and programs in the department of Epidemiology and Public Health.The position provides direct supervision to professionals or skilled technicalemployees and functions as an advisor to unit and administration. Analyzes andresolves business operations issues and needs; interprets policies (e.g.,fiscal management, HR, contracts and grants, resource management in definedareas); provides quality control to operations; develops and implementsbusiness plans and procedures; and demonstrates solid subject matter knowledge.Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determineappropriate action in matters of significance. Supervises staff to assure accountabilityand stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) incompliance with departmental and campus goals and objectives.
This isan exempt, regular position and offers a generous benefits package thatincludes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days;comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remissionfor employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Marylandschools.
- Manages staff in the day-to-day operationsfor functional area(s) of responsibility and responsible for hiring andretaining staff, career coaching, professional development, and performancemanagement of direct reports. Ensures work completion within schedule andconstraints. Develops the long- and short-term planning to meet businessobjectives and ensures long- and short-term assignments and projects areachieved.
- Develops and executes functionalstandards of operations, policies, procedures, processes, and protocols toensure compliant, effective, and efficient operations. Implements campuspolicies, procedures and programs, and ensures compliance. Ensures departmentor school is informed on University, Federal, State, and Local policies,procedures and regulations by developing training, leading group meetings, andcreating informational materials. Authority to deviate from establishedpolicies and procedures without prior approval.
- Manages short- and long-termdepartment planning. Accountable for success of special short- and long-termprojects that increase the operational efficiency and effectiveness of thedepartment. Independently and in collaboration with university human resourcesmanagers, guides supervisors in the interpretation and implementation of humanresources policies, regulations, procedures and programs (staff and faculty).Partners with Human Resource Services to resolve complex issues. Assists withsetting strategic goals and objectives to continually maintain a staff ofwell-trained, highly productive, and motivated employees. Recommends skillstraining, organizational development, and career development training.
- Manages all aspects of thedepartment payroll, such as establishing appropriate checks and balances toensure payroll and timesheet compliance and accuracy. Generates reports for thegeneral ledger and reconciliation, and oversees the administration of payment.Works closely with central Financial Services-Payroll to ensure properreconciliation and payroll tax compliance.
- Manages the finances and procurementfor department to support strategic initiatives which includes developing,monitoring, analyzing, forecasting, and reporting on the annual budget, as wellas managing effort reporting and funding profiles.
- As a subject matter expert, managesthe grant process from development, review, and submission through thepost-award stage. Identifies, develops, and implements procedures/practices toensure research administration goals and objectives are met while complyingwith University, federal, state, and sponsor rules and regulations.Conceptualizes, develops, and provides ongoing training and education to thedepartment or school to increase institutional knowledge related to grants andcontracts.
- Responsible for all department facilitymanagement of space allocation and layout, communication services, furniture,fixtures and equipment design, and planning of facility expansion and/ormodification. Acts as liaison with Facilities Management to ensure efficientand appropriate facility renovations and upgrades.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor'sdegree in business administration, public administration, finance, marketing,accounting, human resources, or other related field.
Preferred Education: Master's inBusiness Administration, Finance, or Accounting, or other related field.
Experience: Five (5) years of business relatedexperience to position required, with at least two (2) years of experience inat least two of the following: human resources and payroll, finance, facilityoperations, or research administration. Two (2) years of direct managementresponsibilities that involves personnel recruitment, training, andprofessional development related to position required.
Certification Preferred: Certified Manager (CM) credentialdesignated by the Institute of Certified Professional Managers (ICPM)preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possesses a thorough knowledge ofposition requirements and able to perform position in compliance withall requirements/regulations/laws.
- Ability to maintain high standardswith the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends andinfluences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effectiveand timely decisions; and effectively uses technology. Maintains productivityand uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base. Ability to prioritizeongoing and new projects, as well as conduct research and gather information.Ability to continuously seek quality service and process improvements in orderto support a mission and strategic vision.
- Ability to effectively communicateboth verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presentsinformation in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands writteninformation and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cuesthat lead to a deeper understanding.
- Ability to schedule, train,supervise, assign work to, and evaluate staff. Consultation and changemanagement skills. Ability to apply deductive reasoning and draw conclusions inorder to solve problems and facilitate decision-making processes.Instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to strengthen and cultivaterelationships.
- Ability to work cooperatively withothers and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteousbehavior when interacting with others. Demonstrate pleasant and positiveinteractions with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow upwith customers. Reaches compromise and consensus to influence and negotiate.Remains calm and is able to manage conflict, and works well with a diverseworkforce. Possesses an approachable style allows others to be open in sharingthoughts and ideas.
Hiring Range:Commensurate with education and experience.
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & CareerServices at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. MarylandRelay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veteransand individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E1448F
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: Epidemiology & Public Health
: May 4, 2017
: Jun 3, 2017, 11:59:00 PM