Department: College of Science (COS)
Information Technology Systems Administrator
The George Mason University College of Science invites candidates to apply for an Information Technology Systems Administrator position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The IT Systems Administrator is the primary Microsoft Windows desktop and application manager for the College of Science on the Science and Technology campus in Prince William County. Duties include:
- Perform various system administrative duties ranging from electronic access control to network security on IT systems;
- Provide IT desktop technical support and performing network support and maintenance;
- Provide desktop computer support within the Biomedical Research Laboratory (BRL) containment areas as needed; and
- Manage the IT inventory and maintains the reliability and utilization of the COS IT systems, which includes software coordination, data analysis, installation, upgrades and maintenance.
This position requires special conditions to remain employed. These include, but are not limited to: successful completion of background investigations, drug and alcohol screenings, attending required BRL training, participating in the medical surveillance program, receiving preventative vaccinations, and continuous adherence to all policies and procedures. Other required qualifications include:
- Knowledge and skills related to the installation, configuration, and maintenance of Windows desktop operating systems;
- Basic knowledge of the Windows server environment;
- Ability to work independently on multiple IT projects of varied complexity;
- Knowledge and skills necessary to assist with the development of cyber security policies, certification and accreditation documentation, and standard operating procedures;
- Background in the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures for IT security including: vulnerability assessments; technical configuration reviews; analysis and reporting of test results; documentation and presentation of findings; external and internal penetration testing; security strategy and program development; and IT contingency and disaster recovery planning used on certification and accreditation (C and A) process;
- Experience troubleshooting a wide range of computer hardware and software components;
- Must be an effective written and oral communicator and be able to work with diverse populations; and
- MUST have the ability to pass a Department Of Justice Security Risk Assessment.
- A+, Network+, or similar IT certifications;
- Experience providing desktop support and customer service;
- Experience working in an institution of higher education;
- Experience supporting Windows-based applications;
- Experience working with scientific equipment and general understanding of scientific computing needs;
- Basic knowledge of Linux; and
- Knowledge of electronic access control systems, access badges and biometrics.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02264z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.