General DescriptionTo support the Carey Business School's strategic objectives, Carey seeks a dynamic, highly collaborative Executive Director of Teaching and Learning. The Teaching and Learning@Carey (T&L) team supports teaching excellence at Carey by providing faculty development services, instructional technology support and training, instructional design assistance, online program management and support for faculty developing and teaching online courses, assurance of learning data collection and analysis, and syllabi process improvement, maintenance and review. This data collection and analysis, and syllabi process improvement, maintenance and review. This position provides key leadership for innovation and collaboration for establishment of opportunities and new partnerships within Johns Hopkins University to enhance existing programs and support new initiatives for the Carey Business School.
This position serves to support faculty development by promoting excellence in teaching and student learning, supporting the scholarship of teaching and learning while also providing leading edge instructional design and technologies, and advancing Carey's assessment and evaluation initiatives for continuous improvement of student outcomes. This position reports to the Vice Dean for Faculty & Research, and also coordinates with the Vice Dean for Education on various activities. Since its inception, the goal of embedding T&L inside the Carey School is to create an academic environment that enriches the faculty teaching role and the student experience, while at the same time advancing Carey's educational mission.
Reporting to the Vice Dean for Faculty & Research, the Executive Director collaborates with faculty to develop teaching and learning programs (e.g., faculty orientation and workshops), serves as a resource for research-based practices in teaching, strategically engages the School's full-time as well as part-time faculty, and develops resources on teaching pedagogy and the scholarship of teaching and learning, (e.g., classroom observations). The Executive Director leads and oversees a staff of approximately fifteen professional and administrative personnel.
The Executive Director also oversees and leads the T&L team in Carey's liaison activities on select Johns Hopkins University committees, such as JHU's University Committee of Learning and Assessment (UCLA) and the Instructional Technology Advisory Council (ITAC). S/he collaborates with the UCLA committee to conduct needs analyses and provide training and development for faculty related to the assessment of student learning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic Leadership, Planning, & Citizenship (45%)
- Formulates and implements strategies for instructional development, delivery, technology, educational support, and other initiatives through collaborative efforts with instructional faculty and staff, academic programs, and other Carey constituencies.
- Advances Carey's assessment and evaluation initiatives for continuous improvement of student outcomes.
- Leads Carey's T&L team, providing both operational management and leadership to advance educational initiatives that promote and enhance student learning.
- Participates in on-going strategic assessment and planning, ensuring that T&L provides high quality programs in alignment with University, School, faculty, and student needs, the instructional goals and objectives of the Carey Business School, and the needs of higher education in general.
- Provides programming that both meets faculty needs (teacher- and instruction-centered) and that focuses on assisting faculty in deepening student learning.
- Develops systems and programs that engage Carey adjunct (part-time) faculty in T&L initiatives, workshops, etc.
- Advocates for best practices in teaching and learning, promoting a model of fellowship between faculty and students, academic excellence, and scholarship in teaching and learning.
- Collaborates with a variety of Carey Business School and JHU offices and personnel to ensure that faculty professional education needs are met in a professional, and timely manner.
- Communicates across Carey to support and inform the School's various units with regard to online programming.
- Seeks opportunities for external and internal funding for T&L projects and programs.
- Serves as advisor to Carey and JHU community on teaching and learning topics and initiatives.
- Serves as an active member of the JHU University Council of Learning Assessment.
- Oversees T&L's Instructional Design Supervisor (who has a dotted line reporting role to Vice Dean for Education) in their role managing the School's relationship with Carey's external partner in providing online educational services. In this role, the Executive Director provides high-level oversight rather than management of day-to-day operations.
- Collaborates with other Carey units, such as Student Services, Advising, Admissions, Marketing and other groups on initiatives that promote and enhance student learning.
Professional Educational Programming (35%)
- Mentors and consults with individuals and groups of faculty concerning teaching and learning issues including Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) for Carey's online course accessibility.
- Facilitates the formation and support of faculty instructional learning communities and communities of practice, primarily within Carey, and secondarily within JHU as a whole.
- In collaboration with the Office of Faculty & Research (OFR), plans and delivers mission based onboarding and orientation program for full-time and part-time faculty.
- Partners with other units within Carey and with Carey's faculty for ongoing improvements in curriculum management processes and programming.
Staff Performance Management (10%)
- Leads and supervises supporting full-time staff and student workers to achieve T&L goals to meet increased faculty teaching effectiveness, online course development.
- Lead, coach, supervise and mentor staff to achieve established performance goals and objectives.
- Schedule staff to ensure faculty support for online programming development and teaching.
Other Duties as Assigned (10%)
- Assists Vice Dean for Faculty & Research with relevant school-wide projects as they arise.