NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Medical Secretary.
In this role, the successful candidate Responsible for organizing daily patient schedules, triaging incoming patient reports to appropriate locations, preparation of slides/graphics for presentation at meetings and lectures, answering phones, preparation of billing information for billing services, obtaining and documenting insurance pre-authorizations and pre-certifications and facilitating patient administrative needs
- Maintains patient schedule and appointment calendar. Utilizes applicable computer systems to schedule patients for needed services. Effectively communicates scheduled services to patients and caregivers as necessary. Effectively provides needed instructions to patients and caregivers for needed scheduled services.
- Answers phones and screen incoming calls and provides information, take messages or redirect calls to the appropriate department. Answers phones within a timely manner. Accurately provides information and/or redirects callers to the appropriate department. Takes accurate messages and forwards message to the appropriate individual within a timely manner.
- Obtains all pre-registration information from patients (i.e. demographic and insurance information) and schedule new patient appointments. Schedule follow-up appointments when indicated. Effectively gathers needed pre-registration data from patients and caregivers. Schedules new patient appointments and when indicated schedules follow up appointments.
- Obtains insurance pre-authorizations for services when necessary. Effectively communicates charges to self-pay patients. Properly refers patients to the Financial Counselor as necessary. Effectively communicates and collects co-payment from patients. Contacts insurance companies as necessary to obtain needed pre-authorization information for needed services.
- Maintains/develops/fosters a cooperative and professional relationship with physicians, nurses, professional and office staff.
- Prioritizes assignments in order to complete work in a timely manner when there are changes in workload, assignments, pressure of deadlines, competitive requirements and/or a heavy workload to ensure deadlines are met.
- Demonstrates communication skills: using appropriate vocabulary and grammar when obtaining and conveying information to physicians, nurses, professionals and other staff at various levels; in person, over the phone, in writing and in electronically sent messages.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or the equivalent.
- Complies with regulatory requirements (i.e. JCAHO) appropriate for position.
- Extensive experience and competency with varied computer hardware and software, including word processing, spreadsheet, database, scheduling, communications and presentation applications.
- Writing skills to compose and edit logical, detailed, comprehensive and grammatically correct correspondence. Superior typing skills to prepare correspondence with speed and accuracy.
- Knowledge of insurance companies admission procedures and policies to complete pre-authorization requirements.
- Knowledge of hospital procedures to obtain laboratory and imaging information.
- Skill in communicating with patients, families, physicians, nurses, staff and peers with diplomacy and tact.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, preferably oncology/hematology.
- Ability to handle matters of highly confidential and sensitive nature.
- Ability to recognize and identify problems, recognize implications and propose alternative solutions.
- Skill in prioritizing assignments to complete work in a timely manner.
- Skill in working independently and in following through on assignments with minimal direction.
AAS or Commercial/Secretarial School Diploma
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.