Title: Development Director, Detroit
Reports to: Vice President of Development, Midwest
Location: Detroit, MI
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter.
Overview of the Organization
buildOn is a not for profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. buildOn runs intensive community service and service learning programs in 44 high schools across the U.S. and empowers youth to contribute direct service to their communities – working with senior citizens, the homeless population and younger children. Through buildOn, students learn to see themselves as the solution, not the problem. They elevate expectations for their communities and themselves. And they develop the character, grit and determination they need to succeed. 97% of buildOn students in the U.S. not only graduate from high school, they go on to college! These same students help build schools in some of the economically poorest countries in the world, bringing access to education to hundreds of communities. buildOn students have contributed more than 1.8 million hours of service in the U.S., and have helped build more than 1,100 schools in Burkina Faso, Haiti, Nepal, Nicaragua, Malawi, Mali, and Senegal.
Overview of the Role
buildOn seeks a dynamic fundraising professional to strategically drive Detroit’s fundraising efforts. As Development Director, you will work to transform investors from passive philanthropists to active partners, lead innovative fundraising campaigns to increase revenue, and support our efforts in developing a culture of learning and boundary-spanning as part of ONE buildOn. The ideal candidate is a visionary with measurable results who is able to create a sense of urgency with our partners and potential partners to fully fund all buildOn programs.
Reporting to the Vice President of Development, Midwest, you will be an integral part in engaging strategic partnerships that will help achieve buildOn's aggressive fundraising goals. The Development Director must have the ability to articulate buildOn's mission to new and current donors by working closely with the program team. This is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial yet process-oriented professional who enjoys thinking creatively to expand revenue opportunities and build a robust pipeline of donors. He/she must have the interpersonal and communications skills necessary to capture and represent buildOn's unique voice and business model. If you have a history of leading successful fundraising campaigns in Detroit with measurable results, then buildOn is the right place for you!
- Develop and implement strategies for solicitation that will grow annual revenue from individuals, corporations & foundations.
- Expand current mid-level gifts with the greatest focus on funding for buildOn U.S.
- Empower all mid-level donors to solicit company participation in the buildOn’s Immersion Experiences: Partnership Programs, 36 Hours, and buildOn Treks.
- Strategically create a pipeline of mid-level gift prospects through targeted outreach, leveraging and recruiting board & committee members, Trek and the buildOn Partnership Program.
- Target professional networks, diversity and inclusion groups as a unique point of entry for new prospects.
- Work collaboratively with the Detroit buildOn U.S. Service Learning Program team to advance fundraising goals.
- Partner with Marketing to engage more corporations in the buildOn Journey from awareness to advocacy with a strong focus on the buildOn’s Partnership Program, 36 Hours, and buildOn Treks.
- Support buildOn’s regional funding model for our Service Learning programs in Detroit, as well as our buildOn Global school construction program.
- Support the Vice President of Development, Midwest on the buildOn Dinner and other regional special events.
- Convert mid-level event sponsors into major partners and advocates for buildOn U.S. through buildOn’s Immersion Experiences.
- Demonstrate your ability to multi-task, be strategic, entrepreneurial and a savvy relationship builder.
- Analyze supporter data to find new opportunities, ensure all activities are measurable to drive efficiencies and maximize results.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage the logistics for large-scale special events.
- Fill pipeline of foundation prospects through outreach to current stakeholders, boards, and networks.
- Research global, national and regional foundations whose funding aligns with our work.