The Mudd Library Operations Coordinator manages the daily operations of the newly-renovated service center Mudd Library to ensure provision of high-quality, user-centered services such as circulation, holds, reserve, and student collaboration and individual study space. This role works with Access Services staff in other University Libraries to develop, interpret, and administer policies and ensure their uniform application. Serves as a liaison with stakeholders including faculty, librarians, students, and work groups within Northwestern University Libraries for high-quality communication, delivery of superior services, and provision of quality library space.
Please Note: Incumbent must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Manages day-to-day operations of the Mudd Library: opening and closing of the service desk, assigns student assistants projects and tasks, and oversees full-time staff to complete library service support work in a timely manner.
- Responsible for Mudd circulation, reserve, ILL, requesting, and document delivery services procedures. Maintains the integrity of the collections and ensures accurate records.
- Reviews processes and recommends changes, plans and visions for Mudd library. Under direction of supervisor, facilitates implementation of new or changed services.
- Collects appropriate statistics, prepares reports, assists in assessment planning.
- Address and solves patron concerns related to access and other services of Mudd Library
- Works in partnership with librarians from Research and Learning Services and User Experience based in Mudd Library to ensure consistent and quality services.
- Acts as a liaison to Library Technologies to ensure technology systems are properly installed and maintained.
- Monitors area facility conditions and directs requests to Library Facilities Operations and Security Management to ensure a functional, comfortable, secure space for patrons.
- Attends library and campus meetings as needed or recommended by supervisor.
- In collaboration with Library Organization Development, coordinates all or portions of the talent management lifecycle (sourcing, selecting, developing, coaching, rewarding, recognizing, managing information and optimizing talent) for full-time staff and students of the Access Services workgroup based in Mudd Library. This includes staff working nights (until midnight) and weekends.
- Ensures Northwestern programs, policies, and procedures are implemented and consistently applied.
Communication and Outreach
- Represents Mudd Library: Address concerns and markets initiatives to appropriate groups, both internal Libraries and external University groups.
- Collaborates with appropriate staff to oversee Math Library general operations.
- Works with Library Facilities Operations and Library Marketing, along with other University and external entities to plan, coordinate and facilitate events as required.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s degree or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Experience in customer service intensive position
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft office software; database creation and management.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Previous library experience.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Balancing listening and talking; communicates effectively one-to-one and in groups; writes precise, well-organized emails and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar; gives clear and manageable instructions.
- Being helpful, respectful, approachable, and team orientated; building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Planning ahead; managing time well; anticipates contingencies and pays attention to detail; targets projects or initiatives that require special attention and focuses on key tasks when faced with limited time or resources; thinking of a better way of doing things.
- Works effectively in an environment in which the parameters may change daily; adjusts behavior to meet the needs of different people and situations.
- Striving for high customer satisfaction; going out of the way to be helpful and pleasant; proven customer service orientation.
- Being receptive to feedback; willing to learn; embracing continuous improvement.
- Exhibits energy and desire to achieve; sets ambitious goals and acts decisively; takes action that no one has requested to improve or enhance job results and avoid problems.
- Explores alternatives to existing products and services; identifies opportunities to improve procedures and practices; shows imagination.
- Plans, organizes and schedules in an efficient, productive manner; anticipates contingencies and pays attention to detail; targets projects or initiatives that require special attention and focuses on key tasks when faced with limited time and/or resources.
- Demonstrates ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Library experience with Access Services, ILL, and/or Circulation
- Knowledge and experience of Alma or other integrated library systems/Library service platforms
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.