The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University has an immediate opening for a Linux Systems Administrator. The Department is an academic community of 1,400 individuals (faculty, staff and students). Primary operations are in Pittsburgh with global research and teaching efforts in Silicon Valley, Portugal, Rwanda, and Singapore.
As a Linux Systems Administrator, you will be a key member of the Information Technology Services group that supports the computing needs of customers across the College of Engineering. You will be responsible for covering a wide variety of technology use cases with a focus on administrative, research, and educational computing. Information Technology Services operates a 1500 sqft, professionally managed data center that delivers mission critical services to 2000+ customers and hundreds of client systems. The data center houses many racks of servers of which most run a hypervisor. Information Technology Services also partners with other service groups across campus to deliver a complete range of solutions for distance collaboration, high-performance/distributed computing research, business process automation, and education environments.
Your responsibilities as Linux Systems Administrator will include management and support of client and server systems running RedHat Enterprise Linux and OpenSuSE some data center virtualization, storage, and networking scripting and automation with prevailing languages and integrated development environments troubleshooting network and communications protocols (TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, wired and wireless Ethernet) managing network file systems supporting distance communications; secondary focus on Windows and MacOS. Use cases include administrative, research, and educational computing distance learning. Support roles include customer support business process analyst some office productivity automation.
We are looking for dedicated individuals with excellent customer service skills who can master a wide range of technologies and communicate their application in a meaningful way to customers. We are looking for someone to remain calm and composed when dealing with difficult situations or people; work on multiple projects and meet deadlines while adjusting to ambiguous or conflicting demands; explore all possible solutions with an agnostic view; be a conduit for team building; offer accurate, holistic estimates.
Two years of current Linux data center and desktop administration in a heterogeneous environment.
- System deployment, management, and maintenance experience with Linux client and server
- Formal programming training; understanding of version control systems (Git)
- Scripting experience in contemporary, common languages and related integrated development environments [C, Python, Ruby, shell]
- Demonstrated experience with automation solutions using application programming interfaces, techniques for automating backend systems and business productivity
- Web server management experience with Apache or NGINX
- Knowledge of virtual system deployments [VMWare, RedHat Enterprise Virtualization]
- Ability to fix undocumented issues with lowlevel tools such as syslog, tcpdump, and dmesg
- Understanding of configuration files, system variables, and editing tools
- Fundamental understanding of switching and routing
- Experience with modern project management methodologies
- Ability to visit various facility locations; ability to travel domestically for training courses, conferences, or branch campus support
Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
Preferred education and experience:
Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or equivalent combination of training and experience plus the following
- Three or more years of related experience in a heterogeneous, highly available education environment
- Experience with nonprofit, academic, or research cultures
- Solid understanding of computer operating systems (RedHat Enterprise Linux, Windows), declarative configuration management software (RedHat Satellite and Puppet), virtualization (VMWare), and data center networking
- Experience with software package management
- Experience with business process modeling
- Experience with database management (MySQL, PostGres)
- Experience with distributed version control systems (Git)
- Experience with highly available network file systems (NFS/AFS/DFS)
- Understanding of System Security Services Daemon (SSSD), Active Directory, Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP)
- Solid understanding of web server technologies (Apache, PHP, CSS, Content Management)
We are seeking someone who will empathize with customers and find solutions that address the problem and the person; mentor other staff members with patience and tolerance of alternate viewpoints; match the Department's goals with multiple solution alternatives.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume in PDF format.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.html
Carnegie Mellon University is a welcoming workplace that considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
You can join an institution and inspire innovations that change the world.