The Assistant Manager, Retail Operations oversees the day-to-day operation of Josiahâ??s, a Brown retail dining facility, ensuring adherence to high standards of quality, attainment of high levels of customer satisfaction, and optimal financial performance through a combination of cost control and marketing/merchandising efforts. The Assistant Manager, Retail Operations also assists the Director of Retail Operations in overseeing the operation of other campus restaurants, cafÃ©s, coffee carts, and convenience stores. In the absence of Director and other Assistant Manager, the Assistant Manager, Retail Operations may be responsible for the entire scope of these operations. Additional responsibilities to include:
- Ensure that high quality standards of food and service are maintained at all times
- Establish food quality, sanitation and service standards as well as supporting expectations, and continually monitor
- Work collaboratively with Culinary Manager to develop and refine menu offerings, concepts and special events
- Regularly meet with staff to communicate changes, reinforce expectations, and maintain morale
- Perform routine audits and share results with staff
- Lead and direct supervisory, union and student staffs
- Communicate effectively to foster good working relationships among workforces
- Monitor and control labor hours to adhere to budget
- Assist in hiring and oversee training
- Develop training methods to continually improve and refine operational procedures and outcomes
- Create and maintain a collegial work environment
- Order food and supplies and oversee related operational aspects
- Oversee and ensure proper production, preparation, and service of menu
- Oversee cash and inventory control; track financial performance of units and take steps to ensure positive results
- Establish and maintain inventory files
- Stay professionally current, attend trade shows, seminars and conferences, and apply knowledge to operation
- Achieve and maintain RI Food Safety Managers license
- Associates degree in HRI or related discipline required; Bachelorâ??s degree preferred
- 3 years experience in food service management with progressively increasing levels of responsibility, preferably in a retail dining environment. Equivalent combination of education and professional experience would be acceptable
- Strong customer service orientation
- Demonstrated effective communication, leadership, conflict resolution and training skills
- Ability to prioritize, problem-solve and work independently
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to budgetary guidelines
- Sensitivity to a diverse customer population
- Experience with electronic POS (point-of-sale) systems and cash flow analysis
- Competency using MS Office suite including Word and Excel. Experience with menu and recipe management and/or automated time tracking system preferred
- Culinary knowledge and/or experience preferred
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include early mornings, evenings, and weekends
- Current driverâ??s license and safe recent driving record
- RI Food Safety Certification is preferred/ willingness to obtain within one year of hire required
This is a full-time, 12 months per year salaried position. The schedule typically consists of a five-day workweek but could be more depending on operational needs.
As the primary unit of responsibility is open seven days/week and late into the evening, the schedule for this position typically requires working afternoon and late evening hours and weekends. Schedules change during the summer and other break periods as service hours are scaled back.
The salary range for the position is $45,867 - $50,000
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal, education and motor vehicle records check satisfactory to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:2017-03-24-07:00
Job Posting Title:Assistant Manager, Retail Operations
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.