NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Clinical Supervisor-Chemistry Labs.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining full responsibility for quality and quantity of work, procedures, personnel, and costs for the Chemistry laboratory. Formulates goals, assigns objectives, establishes standards of practice, and ensures continuity of services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Time utilization: Acts appropriately in prioritizing and coordinating responsibilities and duties to ensure smooth operation of the Laboratory. Work is thought out and planned in advance; is able to successfully implement plan. Determines priorities; adheres to these priorities with minimal changes. Demonstrates flexibility in adjusting to the fluctuating needs of the laboratory and Medical Center. Coordinates own work and the work of the staff to achieve efficiency and good quality patient care.
- Reports/Documentation: Prepares reports and oversees all departmental documentation. Reviews and revises the standards of written documentation on a regular basis for appropriateness and compliance with established laboratory standards and regulations. Prepares statistical data of departmental operations for submission to Administrative Director. Assists in the preparation of the department's annual report in accordance with established guidelines. Provides to the Clinical and or Administrative Director any and all reports defined and requested by him or her.
- Cost containment: participates in cost control activities by seeking the most effective method of delivering quality services, and maintains an awareness of the cost impact of decisions and actions. Monitors/evaluates practices and identifies areas of excessive material costs. Arranges and reschedules staff within the constraints of collective bargaining agreement and Medical Center policies in order to minimize overtime. Interacts with sales representatives, investigates and determines with the Administrative Director the most serviceable and cost effective materials and instrumentation for laboratory operations. Reviews and approves payroll information. Provides the Administrative Director with cost information necessary for the preparation of the annual budget.
- Planning, Procedure Development and Quality Assurance: Develops and implements departmental operating policies and procedures, with ongoing development/modification of the laboratory's quality control program and requirements for regulatory agencies. Understand what the Departmental goals are, and sets objective in order to reach them. Develops with the Clinical Laboratory Director and the Administrative Director, short and long range plans for the accomplishment of goals. Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies and appropriate licensing in service areas as well as personnel. Maintains awareness of current and changing regulatory requirements. Ensures that the laboratory policy and procedure manuals are up to date, well organized and accessible to staff. Develops and implements systems for evaluating, revising and communicating policies and procedures. Establishes, maintains and monitors a comprehensive and effective quality control, preventive maintenance, safety program, data and materials management, and quality of service.
- Explains to the employee clearly what his/her responsibilities are and the standards of the performance. Offers staff recommendations and guidance for improving performance. Disciplines subordinates when necessary and in accordance with collective bargaining and Medical Center policies and procedures. Brings to the employee's attention areas of performance needing improvement as soon as they are recognized with a plan and time frame for correction.
- Staff Development, Evaluation, Counseling and Personnel - related activities: Directly supervises first line supervisors and oversees the supervision of the entire staff. Interviews prospective employees, evaluates and document staff performance in conjunction with assigned supervisor and performs personnel counseling. Interviews prospective employees and makes recommendations regarding hiring to the laboratory Administrative Director. Recognizes the need to counsel subordinates and performs counseling in a timely fashion.
- Management of Staff including first line Supervisors: Assigns responsibilities, establishes work hours, monitors staffing and approves any necessary overtime. Defines the expected outcome and time of completion clearly to first line supervisor and/or staff. Communicates the objective of the assignment clearly to the employee. Assigns work in order to accomplish goals in a timely fashion. Solicits feedback from the employee to ensure the assignment is understood. Assigns work hours to facilitate adequate staffing and keep overtime to a minimum.
To qualify you must have a Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or Science. Minimum of seven years in a clinical laboratory with supervisory/management responsibilities and knowledgeable in all areas of Chemistry..
Required Licenses: Clinical Lab Technologist-NYS
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.