NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as an Environmental Health and Safety Specialist II.
Under the direction of the Director of Environmental Health and Safety and with minimal supervision, this position will manage assigned health and safety programs, including projects and tasks that require a good understanding of regulatory and technical issues and good problem solving and conflict resolution skills. This position will provide support for health and safety programs managed by others within the department.
- Maintains a good understanding of federal, state and local regulations, standards and guidelines for assigned programs. Promptly communicates changes and issues to supervisor and researches potential impact. Keeps current with status of assigned programs within the Medical Center. Maintains familiarity with how other institutions manage similar programs and programmatic issues. Keeps current with the Medical Center Safety Policies. Collaborates with servicer to develop new policies and procedures. Manages and maintains program records and incorporates relevant documents into departmental files. Revises and updates policies and procedures for assigned programs as needed. Periodically evaluates the status of programs and recommends improvements.
- Maintains a good understanding of technical issues. Conducts comprehensive risk assessments and worksite assessments for basic health and safety concerns. Responsively coordinates and conducts inspections, investigations and audits. Coordinates and conducts environmental /industrial hygiene monitoring. Recommends appropriate control measures based on the hierarchy of controls. Prepares and presents verbal and written reports.
- Develops new training programs. Revises and updates existing training materials. Coordinates and conducts training. Interfaces with clients, contractors and consultants. Independently resolves difficult problems and conflicts. Manages contractors and/or consultants engaged in routine and non-routine projects and tasks. Develops specifications for non-routine projects. As assigned, coordinates materials inventories and reporting. As assigned, maintains computer databases.
- Responds promptly to real and perceived emergencies involving health and safety issues. Responds to and investigates fire alarms. Maintains HazWoper certification. Responds to and cleans up spills involving hazardous materials. Responds to and investigates concerns about indoor air quality.
- Conducts TJC mandated QA inspections for Interim Life Safety. Conducts TJC mandated Hazard Surveillance inspections. Conducts QA inspections for penetrations in smoke and fire barriers. Receives chemical waste at the main accumulation area. Verifies proper labeling, and maintains the waste log. Maintains employee injury/illness database. Assist with hazardous materials inventories. Provides training and fit-testing on N95 respirators.
- Maintains a good understanding of how to use air sampling equipment properly and effectively and how to interpret monitoring results. Before using equipment, verifies that it is in proper working condition. As assigned, manages asbestos, mold, and lead abatement projects. As assigned, prepares minutes for meetings.
- Obtains pricing from vendors. Provides supervisor with justification for proposed expenditures. Obtains authorization from supervisor before purchasing services or supplies. Approves and processes invoices.
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree in occupational health and safety, fire safety, engineering or another applicable discipline and 5 years relevant experience or a Master's Degree and a minimum of 3 years relevant experience.
- Good knowledge of regulatory requirements and technical issues for assigned programs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage assigned health and safety programs.
- Ability to manage a heavy workload, to manage competing demands on time and resources, and to prioritize effectively.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to manage multiple projects to completion.
- Good organizational, written and verbal communication skills and fact finding, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database computer programs.
- Good ability to understand and interpret data.
- Ability to wear and work in Level C personal protective equipment. Must be able to be on-call on a rotating basis to respond to off-hours emergency situations.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.