About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Computer Support Specialist (CSS) will be one of two individuals responsible for providing computer hardware and software support within the College of Natural Resources and Environment (CNRE) through the CNRE Help Desk. This helpdesk is the first line of defense for all faculty, staff, and students to go through if they are having computer software or hardware problems. The CSS will log the call and either talk the person through the problem over the phone or go to the computer in question and attempt to fix the problem. If the problem is beyond the scope of the CSS, then the case is discussed with the other IT personnel for further action. This CSS will create and maintain a ticket tracking system on the problems and solutions as they occur. They will also verify and update other information that we currently have on computers located within the college. Time between problem calls will be dedicated to bringing all the computers up to the latest security standard within the college and other tasks as assigned by the IT Director.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training and/or experience in an information technology support position.
- Experience installing, configuring, and updating hardware and software for both Apple and Windows operating systems.
- Experience with troubleshooting hardware and software issues on both MAC and PC operating systems.
- Working knowledge of software with emphasis given to the Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to work with a variety of different users with varying technical knowledge.
- Ability to work as a team player, and perform tasks timely and independently.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service with a pleasant and professional manner.
- Ability to safely move and handle items weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Experience using a ticketing system.
- Experience with computer deployment systems.
- Knowledge of Android and IOS devices.
- Knowledge of Active Directory.
- Knowledge of firewall and anti-virus configurations.
- Understanding various Instructional Technology and media.
- Knowledge of database, server, and web development packages.
- Knowledge of networking principles and security protocols.
- Knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint.
- Experience working in Higher Education.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.