Founded as a Catholic university in 1887, Benedictine University is located in Lisle, Illinois just 25 miles west of Chicago, and has branch campuses in Springfield, Illinois and Mesa, Arizona.
We are Catholic. All are welcome. Benedictine University seeks employees who understand and contribute to the University’s mission and vision. Inspired by our Catholic Benedictine mission and identity, our academic community is committed to inclusion. As an institution, we express our commitment to our identity as a Catholic and Benedictine institution through our values as they are manifested throughout the University. As such, all employees are expected to support the University’s Catholic Benedictine mission and identity and to contribute to its distinctive intellectual life in an effort to help each student and each other to thrive academically, professionally, and personally in our religiously and culturally diverse academic community.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or Associate Degree with 3 years of experience in an active IT organization.
Experience: Three years IT experience in an enterprise-level business (500+ users with 100+ servers and multiple building sites) with at least three years’ experience administering core and edge Cisco series network environments. Must have experience in a) installing and maintaining LAN hardware and software, b) WAN/LAN/Wireless/Router/Firewall management c) configuring and maintaining enterprise class server hardware, d) managing and administering core domain and mission-critical applications, e) implementing and managing network monitoring tools, f) providing tape backup and disaster recovery procedures.
Specific Skills: In-depth knowledge, certification and experience with TCP/IP, Cisco routers, switches, and firewalls, Microsoft and Linux Server products, network monitoring tools, anti-virus software, data and system protection software, server automation, terminal server management.
Specific Knowledge, Licenses, Certifications: At least one of the following:
- a) Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
- b) Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA)
Supervisory Responsibility (if applicable): N/A
Working Conditions: Well-lit office environment. Must be able to lift server and network equipment (50 lbs).
Benedictine University does not discriminate in its admissions or educational policies, programs or activities; scholarship and loan programs; athletic and other University administered programs or employment practices on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, military or veteran status, marital status, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. The laws applicable to Benedictine University include constitutional and statutory protections of the University's rights as a religiously sponsored institution. This policy of equal employment opportunity applies to all employment and personnel practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, promotion, training and compensation.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Benedictine University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Manager for Infrastructure and Planning
Position Summary: Install, maintain and support Local Area Network, Wireless networks and Wide Area Network systems throughout the University. Ensure smooth operation of all networks to provide maximum performance and availability to the University community.
Install, support and maintain hardware and software infrastructure, allocate network resources, monitor LAN, WAN and WiFi network usage, performance and security, ensure cost-effective and efficient use of servers and other network hardware.
Perform preventative and routine maintenance on all network systems, including servers, switches, routers, peripheral devices and cabling. Analyze and resolve all systems faults and failures. Be available on-call outside normal business hours, and maintain onsite, off-hours presence should major technical problems or preventative maintenance require evening or weekend work.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Install, maintain and support local area and wide area network systems for the University. Minimize down time and optimize hardware and software resources, including firewalls, routers, switches, servers, SANS, backup tape devices, cabling, the connection to the Internet, and the supporting operating systems and applications, such as email, databases, ERP, and network access control software.
- Implement and manage network security, including host security, file permissions, backup and disaster recovery plans, file system integrity, and adding and deleting users. Create and manage multiple virtual local area networks (VLANs) used to segment client devices and increase security.
- Provide technical support for wired and wireless networks and strive to maintain five 9’s availability and uptime for these systems
- Provide technical support for other departmental IT team members or end-users with issues related to network, Internet, and client-server application systems. Provide second-level support to IT department’s Help Desk.
- Install, manage, and maintain traffic-shaping equipment on all data lines to ensure optimal traffic flows over WAN and external Internet circuit. Monitor and maintain the firewalls and VPN technology to ensure secure and uninterrupted external access to the University’s resources, and access to outside resources from on-campus.
- Perform preventative and routine maintenance on all network systems, cabling, and servers. Ensure all network systems function within designated service level agreement (SLA). Maintain warranty service contracts. Recommend and apply upgrades, patches, applications and equipment to accommodate evolving University requirements. Monitor server hardware availability and utilization.
- Implement and maintain a centralized network-management utility, to distribute updates, enforce network hardening, and provide security and disaster recovery of all network files and application data.
- Create and maintain full documentation of all systems, applications, security and network configurations. Maintain confidentiality with regard to all information processed, stored, or accessed on the network.
- Work closely with other departments within the University and provide technical project assistance as required.
- Contribute administrative and 3rd-level technical support services for the IT department's Applications Development and PC Technical Support groups.
- Maintain high degree of professionalism.
- Provide mentoring to new staff and student staff members.