| GENERAL DESCRIPTION: |
Be the voice and face of State of Wyoming Public Health!
Fulfill your passion and commitment to promoting and protecting the health of Wyoming's communities and preventing disease and injury while serving as the state's top public health physician and administrator over public health programs and policies. In return, we provide you with a competitive salary, outstanding medical insurance, and a robust retirement package all without being state taxed!
The Wyoming Department of Health (WDH), Public Health Division (PHD), State Health Officer and Senior Administrator will be the adviser to the WDH Director, WDH Senior Leadership, elected officials, County Health Officers, local public health offices, and Wyoming residents on issues such as health promotion, disease prevention, and emergency preparedness and response. As the PHD Senior Administrator, you will have responsibility for implementation, oversight, and evaluation of public health programs within the Community Health, Health Readiness and Response, and Public Health Sciences Sections. As State Health Officer, you will set the strategic priorities and overall direction of state public health, in conjunction with local, state, and federal public health partners.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
• Executive Management – Demonstrates organizational effectiveness, optimal resource utilization, and effective, data-driven decision making. Must be a systems thinker who understands how the division and agency are connected in vision, mission and function. Ability to balance state public health issues, departmental priorities, political realities, and stakeholder interests to make effective decisions as well as champion decisions that have been made. Demonstrates efficient and effective management of a budget composed of multiple funding sources including significant federal funds. Knowledgeable about grant management, performance-based contracts, and resource development.
• Adaptive Leadership for Success – Demonstrates the ability to integrate performance management into program activities, provide coaching and mentoring for improved success, and provide personalize recognition and celebrate successes. Displays characteristics of interpersonal influence. Able to clearly articulate a vision and expectations to the team and garner commitment. Ensures accountability and continued success through feedback, coaching, and recognition. Demonstrates a commitment to data-driven, evidence-based program and policy decisions and continuous quality improvement to optimize program effectiveness.
• Personal Effectiveness – Demonstrates interpersonal awareness and a commitment to diversity and inclusion. Seeks to understand and incorporate diverse stakeholder perspectives. Able to communicate to diverse public health audiences in a culturally appropriate manner.
• Public Health Expertise –Possesses formal public health trainings and/or extensive experience and demonstrates the ability to carry out state public health statues on order to protect the public. Demonstrates experience with emergency preparedness and response and ability to function as the department's Incident Commander. Supervises Deputy State Health Officer and County Health Officers' abilities to carry out essential public health functions as described in statute. Able to use data and epidemiologic analysis to inform programmatic and policy priorities and decisions. Knowledgeable about public health quality improvement and performance management.
• Medical Expertise – Demonstrates a commitment to ongoing professional education and practice currency specific to medical specialty and public health practice. Able to serve as consultant for practice community as it relates to prevention, communicable and chronic disease, and emerging public health issues.