Glenelg Country School seeks a full-time Middle School Academic Support faculty member for the 2017/2018 academic year beginning in August. This position works closely with teachers, parents, outside professionals, and GCS students providing structured, targeted, and interventional support to ensure the success of all students in the Middle School. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who communicates well with others and is comfortable providing assistance and teaching material across the disciplines. A high-level of organization, positive and compassionate attitude, and ability to learn and implement new strategies is required. The AS faculty member reports directly to the Head of the Middle School and Academic Support Department Chair.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Read and analyze psycho-educational evaluations in order to develop, maintain and communicate a student’s Accommodation Plan to families and appropriate faculty members
• Work with faculty members in helping to understand and implement strategies within a classroom setting for a given student, as well as ensure that classroom and testing accommodations are being implemented
• Review students’ cumulative folders, standardized tests scores, teacher comments and observations in order to assist the School in identifying a student who may need intervention
• Provide assistance to families as they navigate the evaluation process
• Administer and score individual testing batteries, which further provide information regarding a student’s strengths and weaknesses within the School’s curriculum
• Work closely with academic support faculty and counselors across divisions to ensure school-wide goals are being met
• Provide small-group instruction and/or support across the curricular areas, including goal setting, planning and time management, organization, self-reflection and self-advocacy
• Participate in weekly grade-level team meetings and meet consistently with the Head of the Middle School, Middle School Dean of Students, and counselor to review student progress and concerns
• Engage in the many opportunities in the Middle School community by providing supervision, sponsoring activities and/or coaching athletics
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in education, special education background preferred
• At least 1-2 years of experience as a learning specialist or in a related role
• Experience in working with middle-school aged students
Glenelg Country School is a coeducational independent school located in Howard County, Maryland and has approximately 800 students 2 years old through Twelfth grade. For immediate consideration, interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter to Carol Ehlers, HRM, email@example.com No phone calls please.