Under the general supervision of the Assistant Dean of Development and External Relations, this position will work in collaboration with the University Development team, the five CAED Departments, and others to independently perform a wide variety of complex administrative, technical, and specialized duties in support of college development, communications, donor stewardship, and special projects. This position is responsible for a variety of communications and administrative tasks related to fundraising efforts and public relations in support of the mission of the CAED external relations office.
The College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED) is one of six academic colleges at Cal Poly, with more than 1,900 students, 100 faculty, and 30 staff. CAED's Office of External Relations manages development, alumni/donor/volunteer relations, marketing/communications, public relations, special events and special projects for the college.
The following examples illustrate typical work activities and are not meant to be all-inclusive or restrictive:
- Perform specialized activities to enhance donor relations through communications, stewardship and campus visits.
- Respond to requests from University Marketing and Communications, University Development, University President's Office and others, such as providing data and coordinating student interviews and photos for events and promotions.
- Review and coordinate production of college marketing materials and collateral, such as proofreading and editing of one sheets, postcards, brochures. Obtain necessary approvals from University Marketing and Communications and coordinate with vendors.
- Develop and post social media content, and perform basic web editing for updates to CAED External Relations content.
- Prepare and send news releases and surveys regarding college activities, under the supervision of the Assistant Dean.
- Process and acknowledge gifts in a timely and efficient manner. Work with development staff and staff in the five departments to implement consistent acknowledgement and recognition procedures for gifts that are consistent across audiences.
- Ensure donor contact reports are added to the advancement database as needed.
- Fulfill reporting requests, such as donor contact lists, history, progress reports.
- Create and/or independently draft a wide variety of correspondences and other communications, including acknowledgement letters, campaign communications, and letters to donors; prepare and produce mailings.
- Oversee online giving programs, track pledges and ensure payment reminders are sent for multi-year pledges, under the supervision of the Assistant Dean.
- Support a process that prompts department heads and others in maintaining personal contact with major donors.
- Monitor naming requests, submission and approval.
- Assist with gathering of information for the development of written proposals and digital presentations to major donors, corporate sponsors and foundations.
- Provide resources and training to all department coordinators and staff in accessing data from the University Advancement system.
- Support strategic plan objectives.
- Maintain a highly confidential filing system for donor correspondence and donations.
- Supervise student assistants.
- NOTE: To view the full position description click here