General DescriptionThe Sr. Administrative Coordinator will provide expert administrative support and event planning for the Department of Computer Science and the JHU Information Security Institute. The ideal candidate for this position must be able to work in a demanding, fast-paced, and collaborative work environment, as part of a support team committed to excellence in customer service to identify and resolve administrative problems and issues. This position requires a high level of public relations skills to effectively execute the various job responsibilities. This position will regularly deal with sensitive and confidential information and must exercise professionalism and discretion.
Administrative Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate monthly faculty meetings and faculty committee meetings, including standing, ad hoc, and search committees. Communicate schedule to appropriate attendees. Arrange for lunch as appropriate.
- Attend monthly faculty meetings. Record confidential meeting minutes and prepare them for distribution to the faculty. Monitor and follow up on action items with chair, faculty and administrator.
- Gather information, prepare, and submit departmental requests for faculty and postdoctoral fellow appointments. Monitor appointment expiration dates to ensure prompt renewal as appropriate, including updates to payroll as needed.
- Prepare petitions for J-1 and H-1b1 visas and renewals for all appointed positions. Monitor the status of pending applications with OIS, prepare check requests for fees, and ensure submission within the appropriate time frame.
- Coordinate with department chair to schedule reviews of junior faculty. Collect all data necessary for the review meeting, ensure internal and external mentors are available for the meeting, communicate information and schedule to all required to attend the meeting.
- Coordinate all logistics of the semi-annual External Advisory Committee meetings. Tasks include communicating with board members regarding meeting dates, details, attendance, travel and accommodation needs, agenda, ordering food, gathering/producing meeting materials and preparing for distribution, attending meetings and taking minutes, and preparing meeting minutes for distribution.
- Schedule regular administrative staff meetings and coordinate agenda for each meeting.
- Coordinate and execute all aspects of department, institute, and faculty related events including recruiting and orientation events, annual State of the Department talk and luncheon, commencement reception, alumni events, student events, faculty conferences and workshops, faculty candidate visits, and the Masson and Krasnopoler lectures. Manage related costs and process payments as needed. Coordinate department participation in school-wide activities such as alumni weekend events.
- Coordinate with Communications Specialist as needed on events to ensure timely announcements and production of related event materials.
- Conduct departmental onboarding for new faculty, researchers, and staff. Maintain checklist for each new employee ensuring all points are covered during the first day and week of their employment.
- Maintain calendars for Department Chair and Administrator based on knowledge of goals and priorities, schedule appointments, arrange meetings, make travel arrangements as needed, draft and edit correspondence.
- Serve as the administrative point of contact for the department chair and provide calendar information and scheduling as needed.
- Maintain files and record keeping systems related to appointments, financial transactions, and other department related data.
- Represent the Chair, Administrator and the department as appropriate when communicating with faculty, administrators, staff, and external contacts to respond to questions, resolve issues, and gather data as needed.
- Serve as a general resource for all direct inquiries from a wide variety of constituents including faculty, students, board members, donors, visitors, prospective faculty, and prospective students, providing information on department policies, procedures and related activities.
- Other duties as assigned.