School/Unit: School of Medicine
Department: Internal Medicine
Purpose of Position:
The chief purpose of this position is to support our research mission.
Research: Conducts research involving the investigation of molecularly targeted agents in hematologic malignancies. Specifically, the holder of this position will conduct studies supported by NIH funding and other sources of funding to develop new therapeutic strategies involving two new classes of agents (i.e. – Smac-mimetics and histone deacetylase inhibitors) that target important genetically abnormal pathways in multiple myeloma and leukemia, with the ultimate goal of developing a rational basis for a new therapies for multiple myeloma and leukemia. The holder of the position will also assist in the training of graduate and medical students, as well as residents and fellows, rotating through the laboratory.
- Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. degree with postdoctoral research experience utilizing advanced molecular techniques.
- Experience working in the area of translational studies aimed at developing a basis for using novel signal transduction and other targeted agents including proteasome inhibitors, HDAC inhibitors, or BH3-mimetics in the treatment of hematologic malignancies, particularly in the areas of leukemia and the multiple myeloma.
- Successful publication record demonstrated by being a first author on multiple publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Ability to train others to perform advanced molecular biology techniques
- 5-6 years of experience
- Ability to design, conduct and supervise a research project
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member of VCU
Experience in stable and transient gene transfection, kinase assays, immunoprecipitation assays, multiple myeloma cell biology, the DNA damage response, apoptosis regulation, genetic engineering, and animal models (e.g., xenograft).
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.vcujobs.comVirginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran's status, political affiliation or disability.