| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
As one of the world's premier cancer centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) is committed to the progressive control and cure of cancer through programs of patient care, research and education. As such, our Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Department plays a vital role in supporting that mission through the implementation of programs that continuously strive to exceed and set industry standards as well as enhance the safety culture. EHS is responsible for Fire and Life Safety, Emergency Management, Construction Safety, Hazardous Material and Waste Management, Laboratory Safety, Occupational Safety, Healthcare Safety, Environmental Compliance and Ergonomics. MSK is seeking a proven leader who can be part of a dynamic and growing organization.
As a Senior Industrial Hygienist, you will:
- Manage the Industrial Hygiene and Chemical Safety programs throughout MSK healthcare, research, and administrative locations, including chemical and physical hygiene monitoring and assessments; driving noise and chemical agent abatement projects; managing respiratory protection, hearing conservation, engineering controls, personal protective equipment, laboratory safety, and chemical safety programs; investigating and examining the workplace for hazards and potential risks; mitigating workplace hazards; and performing accident and incident investigations.
- Perform risk assessment to specify design and quality of administrative and engineering controls. Specify the design and quality of all types of personal protective equipment and prescribe standards for their use.
- Develop and implement EHS programs to ensure regulatory compliance with OSHA, and other local, State, and Federal EHS requirements as well as provide customer service consistent with departmental standards.
- Develop and deliver training programs on practices, precautions and procedures established to mitigate occupational exposure to chemical and physical hazards.
- Perform and supervise the inspection and certification of equipment, laboratories, and other spaces utilizing hazardous materials.
- Respond to and oversee Indoor Air Quality incidents, identifying the root cause, actions to prevent recurrence, and communications with impacted individuals.
- Direct other EHS team members performing industrial hygiene tasks as required and work closely with EHS staff and MSK departments and personnel.
- Respond as part of an emergency response team to hazardous material spills, gas leaks and other indoor air quality issues. Train emergency response team on chemical hazard recognition, exposure control assessments, use of industrial hygiene and air monitoring equipment, and proper PPE selection and use.
- Report to the EHS Director to assure compliance with all applicable safety and environmental protection requirements by means of inspections, reports, institutional committee memberships, and instructional workshops and training programs.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, or related major. Master’s preferred.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) preferred.
- The ability to act decisively when responding to emergency situations.
- Knowledge of federal, State and local regulations pertaining to environmental, health and safety.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to influence effectively at all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrated initiative and analytical problem solving skills - ability to use and interpret data to drive decision making.
- Capability to work independently and as a team member to develop and implement programs with EHS staff and MSK departments.
- Skills in assessing and implementing safety and compliance programs and working with a diverse clientele of facility managers and building occupants.
- Demonstrated leadership in developing and managing position requirements including the ability to supervise and motivate staff and develop performance measures to maximize productivity and work quality.
- Competency in the use of computers, including Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access and email/Internet programs. Ability to develop complex MS Excel spreadsheets to track and organize multiple operational activities including the integration of multiple data sources; use of statistical calculations and formulas; and develop operational reports.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.