Central Washington University
To apply for a job at Central Washington University, please go to careers.cwu.edu. Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job ID 1367
Full/Part Time Full-Time
This position's primary responsibility is to provide varied and complex secretary duties and support to the department chair. This includes creating analytical reports; monitoring and maintaining budgets and activities; monitoring deadlines for events and activities; recording department meetings, calendaring, correspondence, records retention, ordering supplies, making travel arrangements, and answering phones and questions. This position supervises a clerical position and student employees.
- Provide secretarial support to the department chair
- In consultation with the Department Chair submit catalog, course and curriculum changes. Access CWU systems for department class enrollments, class rosters, grade sheets and grade input, student information, entering information on department majors and minors, and running queries on a variety of topics.
- Execute tasks during constant interruptions that require personal interactions without losing focus or momentum.
- Meet deadlines and due dates for various events and activities.
- Take and distribute minutes, track events, and prepare background information for meetings. Proofread material; take notes; maintain all minutes and agendas for meetings.
- Grant permission for students to register for courses using appropriate CWU software system(s).
- Answer telephone(s); receive and refer inquiries including university personnel, students, and/or the public to the appropriate office/personnel.
- Assign students their faculty advisors.
- Screen and distribute mail and messages.
- Maintains equipment inventory and key audits.
- Maintain student academic files.
- Provide undergraduate, graduate, and non-certification students with programmatic materials.
- Make travel arrangements, including processing travel forms. Apply departmental/university policies and procedures as they relate to areas such as travel.
- Prepare NTT faculty contract requests quarterly.
- Create and format various documents using Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and other database software. Research, collect data, organize and prepare a variety of reports. Create analytical reports.
- Implement departmental policy and procedures in response to institutional guidelines as to remain in compliance.
- Attend monthly support staff meetings as provided by the dean.
- Provide support and coordination as well as establish and maintain confidential records management for faculty searches. Initiate, track, and update searches in CWU recruiting/hiring system.
- Make travel arrangements for interviewees and assemble search packets.
- Assign/evaluate office space at the direction of the Chair.
- Maintain, revise and create content for the department website and social media.
- Records retention
- Maintain, monitor and reconcile budget and fiscal records including departmental budgets, department credit card and faculty Professional Development Funds; recognize inconsistencies; initiate corrective action; inform supervisor of status.
- Forecast departmental budgets.
- Review estimates, analyze expenditures and budget status reports and advice the department chair and/or course fee instructors of financial status of budgets.
- Research products for cost, durability, availability, departmental need, and state guidelines (if applicable). Orders office supplies.
- Actively engages in recruitment and hiring new employees;
- Clearly defines performance expectations, ensure accountability, and provides ongoing informal feedback, coaching, and mentoring. Conducts formal performance evaluations;
- Ensures employees have necessary resources;
- Oversees and directs the work of staff; serves as mentor, coach and leader, and resolves complaints or issues;
- Promotes professional development opportunities;
- Develops and fosters supportive working relationships, motivation and engagement;
- Communicates information to staff on an ongoing basis to influence staff engagement and to be a part of a larger community;
- Takes corrective action in a timely manner;
- Recognizes and rewards employees for good performance;
- Schedules employee work hours/shifts; monitor hours worked; approve payable time and absence requests;
- Adjusts leadership style as needed to achieve results
- Recognizes value of and promotes diverse workforce. Values and encourages diverse perspectives, creativity and teamwork
- Other duties as assigned
- Increasingly responsible clerical/secretarial/fiscal experience
- Experience or training that demonstrates the ability to use Word, Excel, e-mail and/or similar software applications to produce written correspondence, create and maintain spreadsheets, receive and respond to e-mail inquiries, tasks, etc.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, including direct clear, and timely communication
- Ability to provide excellent customer service including listening to customers, identify issues, provide options, fulfill services and exercise knowledge of procedures to assist others
- Ability to effectively organize multiple work assignments, involve competing priorities to produce work products that are accurate, of a high quality and meet deadlines
- Attention to detail
- OR an equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education which clearly demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Experience in higher education
- Experience with financial, human resources and/or student data systems such as PeopleSoft and/or other system(s) that demonstrates the ability to monitor and reconcile budgets, payroll, travel, purchasing, compile and interpret fiscal data and provide related reports.
- Experience with social media
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: $2792/ month with periodic increases up to $3627/month
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch)
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer work station for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required.
Benefits:CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: May 12, 2017
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Name: Dr. Rebecca Pearson
Title: Interim Chair
Phone: (509) 963-2493
Website: Health Sciences
Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.