NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Animal Research Technician I.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for participating in the cleaning and maintenance of animal quarters, providing routine care of research animals, monitoring and controlling environmental conditions and maintaining a variety of records (log of room activities). This candidate will also monitor supplies for specific animal quarters, assist with relocation of facility equipment and supplies and assist in ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements related to care of laboratory animals.
- REGULATORY COMPLIANCE Maintains awareness of regulatory requirements applicable to responsibilities.Follows departmental procedures in order to implement Enrichment Program for all laboratory animals. Ensures necessary documentation is maintained up-to-date and thorough.
- EQUIPMENT/SUPPLIES Transports facility equipment and supplies to new locations, as instructed. Completes assignments on timely basis. Reports delays or problems to Supervisor. Orders and maintains an inventory of supplies. Ensures adequate levels of room supplies are available on an ongoing basis.
- INVENTORY CONTROL Maintains adequate supplies by monitoring levels on an ongoing basis. Checks availability of supplies and restocks all areas as required. Advises supervisor of shortages in timely manner.
- RECORDKEEPING Records information accurately and promptly. Records, write, and communicate data to all NYULMC staff on the appropriate level. Completes recordkeeping in accordance with outlined procedures. Maintains records in an organized and up-to-date manner.
- ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS Periodically checks temperature, ventilation and lighting in animal rooms and related areas. Adjusts conditions as required. Notifies supervisor of problems with related equipment (heating/air conditioning systems, etc.).
- ANIMAL CARE Feeds animals in assigned areas following established schedule. Provides adequate food, bedding, enrichment devices and water as required. Checks animals daily to identify sick animals.Notifies veterinary technician of any unusual conditions.Weighs animals as required. Assists Veterinary Technician by restraining animals for minor procedures. Administers medications (pills, injections) on weekends and as instructed.Receives, checks in animals and materials and delivers to correct locations.Perform routine weekend and holiday overtime as scheduled.
- CLEANING Rotates animal cages and racks for cleaning following established schedule. Sweeps and mops animal quarters thoroughly. Disinfects walls and sanitizes animal quarters using appropriate compounds and techniques. Performs additional cleaning of area as required, or upon request.Required to change up to and including a minimum of 300 cages per day.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- To qualify you must have a High school diploma and two years experience in an animal research facility.
- Certain education may substitute for experience (see below).
- 2 year college degree in an animal or biological sciences course of study may substitute for ALAT.
- Current and continued enrollment in such a program may substitute for the actual degree.
- Applicant will be expected to achieve at least ALAT certification within 1 year of hire for continued employment.
- 3 years of documented animal husbandry experience may substitute for ALAT.
- Applicant will be expected to achieve at least ALAT certification within 1 year of hire for continued employment
- Able to speak and write fluent English.
- AAALAS certification at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level required.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideraton without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.