Located in central Denver’s historic Washington Park residential neighborhood, associates at Porter Adventist Hospital enjoy beautiful surroundings, leading technology, outstanding leadership and easy access to everything great central Denver has to offer. As a full-service Magnet® designated, 368-bed acute-care referral center specializing in cancer care, joint replacement, spinal care, advanced robotic surgery and organ transplantation, Porter Adventist Hospital treats some of the region’s most complex medical cases and surgery patients. Our Heart and Vascular Institute is the first and only program in Colorado to receive full Heart Failure Accreditation status from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care. We have also received numerous awards and honors including: The Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award (2014); top 50th orthopedic program ranking by U.S. News & World Report with high performing honors in eight specialties (2014); an “A” rating from the Leapfrog Group for Patient Safety (2014), as well as many others. The Porter tradition of blending science and spirit began more than 75 years ago by Denver businessman Henry Porter with his generous donation after he experienced care at a Seventh Day Adventist Facility in CA and sought to bring that same philosophy of care to Denver. If you are ready for a career where the work you do truly transcends the walls of a hospital, we invite you to learn more at: http://www.porterhospital.org/
Responsible for the daily functions of Accounting, Accounts Payable and Decision Support. Assists the CFO and AVP/Controller with fiscal education and analytical support to operational management. Serves as liaison with central payroll operations to assist in payroll functions. Monitors and evaluates the activities of the finance staff and provides management coaching, guidance and on-the job training as necessary.
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent work experience required
- MBA or CPA preferred
work experience requirements
- 2 years hospital accounting
- 4 years supervisory experience
- Excellent communication and managerial abilities.
- Strong aptitude and proven experience in working with all levels of management.
- Operational exposure to revenue cycle operations and/or payor community a must.
- Ability to be entrepreneurial; always searching for creative and innovative solutions.
- Excellent knowledge of healthcare financial models and key operational indicators.
Position duties (essential functions, INCLUDE % OF TIME)
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITIES - 40%
- Provide oversight of all fiduciary responsibilities associated with the organization/department.
- Identify internal control system deficits and monitor action plan to insure efficient and effective implementation of related plan.
- Standardize the financial/operational reporting package that provides accurate and timely information to the various units.
- Coordinates and ensures the timely and accurate reporting of hospital financial transactions in accordance with the GAAP and corporate specific guidelines.
- Directs the preparation of the annual operational, strategic and capital financial budget.
ACCOUNTING ENTRIES - 25%
- Ensures timely and accurate posting of accounting entries to the financial systems.
- Ensures financial statement account balances are appropriately supported for review.
- Monitors and provides for the preparation and distribution of productivity, operational statistics, benchmarks and budget performance analysis or operating units and assists operational management in the interpretation of such.
COLLABORATION - 20%
- Work with the facility controllers and other financial personnel to standardize month-end reporting and operating procedures that affect their department’s work-flow. Act as communication liaison to facility finance departments; attend all scheduled meetings and proactively participate.
- Work with internal and external audit teams to obtain data, knowledge and understanding of operational control mechanisms. Review audit findings, create response and develop aggressive action plan to correct.
- Develops and maintains position working relationships with customers in support of the mission.
EDUCATION - 15%
- Support and actively implement educational and training programs that enhance our productivity while creating of an environment that is continually learning and seeking new alternatives to opportunities.
- Provide instruction/education to other management staff on financial trend data.
- Provides for consistent financial decision support and cost accounting tools supporting the development, implementation, ongoing maintenance, education and enhancement of appropriate decision support systems.
- Responsible for assisting operational management in identifying financial opportunities for improvement and analyzing performance by providing financial and clinical data, program analyses, business proformas, and financial consultative and presentation services.
- Provides necessary support for completion of external and internal reporting schedules and requirements to include coordination of annual inventory.
Important notification to applicants as of Nov. 20, 2014: Effective Jan. 1, 2015, Centura Health will no longer hire tobacco users in Colorado and Kansas. The change to our policy does not apply to associates hired on or before Dec. 31, 2014. Centura Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.