Overview of Woodland School
Located just west of Stanford University, Woodland is an independent day school that offers a balanced approach to learning in a diverse and inclusive environment for approximately 300 students in early childhood through 8th-grade. We have two sections of each grade level K- 8 with class sizes that average from 14-18 per class.
We believe that students learn to their potential when they are inspired. With rich content and an emphasis on student-driven projects, students are empowered and encouraged to be active and engaged learners. Our teachers provide an education that is both challenging and supportive. They work to ensure that students become active and curious learners – and are both local and global citizens fully prepared for future endeavors and challenges.
Woodland School’s faculty embodies the values of academic excellence, a diverse and authentic community, and strong character building. We focus on character building because it takes both strength of mind and heart to live with integrity, to find one’s passions, and to create meaningful change in the world.
Our teachers are themselves learners, constantly searching for ways to improve their practice. A robust professional development program supports our faculty by introducing them to the latest knowledge and best practice in pedagogy, curriculum development, educational technology, and student assessment.
Overview of Lower School
Lower School runs from Kindergarten through Grade 4, with two sections in each grade. Small class size (ranging from 12-15 students) allows close connections between families, teachers and students. With collaboration, classroom teachers create an authentic program of instruction informed by strong curricular resources. Classroom teachers plan, prepare and deliver academic lessons in phonics and word study, beginning literacy, math and social studies, as well as a social and emotional learning. Specialist teachers in PE, world language, design/technology, science, visual art and music enhance our kindergarten program.
Our kindergarten program nurtures a child’s joy and enthusiasm for learning. Through a combination of inquiry-based learning and small group instruction, children develop a strong foundation across disciplines. Concepts of community, caring and friendship permeate the program as children learn to be students, friends, classmates and collaborators. Social emotional learning is paramount.
Woodland School seeks an inspiring and nurturing kindergarten teacher who develops students’ inquiring minds and compassionate hearts. The position requires maintaining a full teaching load, weekly recess and lunch duties and professional meetings.
Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education or related field is required. Masters and teaching certificate or credential is preferred.
- Experience teaching young children and have a solid understanding of child development
- Ability to develop and deliver curriculum, reflect on student learning and iterate lessons
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills with the ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with all constituents
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Committed to professional learning and growth
- Demonstrated professional behavior, including discretion, judgment and integrity
- Effectively interacts with a diverse population of students, families and faculty
- Invests in the life of the school by participating in collaborative planning sessions, weekly staff meetings and any multidisciplinary team meetings
- Administer standardized ability and achievement tests, and interpret results to determine student strengths and areas of need.
- Supervise, evaluate, and plan assignments for teacher assistants and volunteers.
- Select, store, order, issue, and inventory classroom equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Provide disabled students with assistive devices, supportive technology, and assistance accessing facilities such as restrooms.
How to Apply
Candidates for this position should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three to five references. Please combine all documents into a single PDF and send to HR@woodland-school.org.