Senior Study Abroad Advisor
Texas Tech University (TTU) Office of International Affairs (OIA) is seeking dedicated and dynamic candidates for the position of Senior Study Abroad Advisor. This position reports to the Assistant Director for Study Abroad. This position reports to the Director for Study Abroad, and works collaboratively with other units and divisions within the Office of International Affairs and campus wide to ensure a seamless experience for students wishing to study abroad.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge on study abroad programs; advises students on learning abroad opportunities for the assigned regions/countries. Maintains paper and electronic files for all study abroad students being advised. Assumes leadership of opportunities to increase access to study abroad and scholarship opportunities for diverse and underrepresented students.
- Coordinates all aspects of the Study Abroad Competitive Scholarship program to include monitoring student applications, providing applicant information to committee members, organizing committee meetings, and posting scholarships to awarded students’ accounts. Produces written materials that improve the application, streamline review and scoring processes, and enhance program policies.
- Advises the Study Abroad Peer Advisor student organization; provides training, guidance, and oversight of their activities.
- Organizes campus visits for study abroad program providers and representatives from partner universities abroad.
- Maintains the Study Abroad database and makes necessary updates to the Study Abroad website.
- Attends relevant training, meetings, and orientations; attends conferences for professional development. Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning on topics related to access, diversity, inclusion, and under-representation in international education.
- Bachelor's degree plus two (2) years related experience; OR a combination of education and/or progressively responsible related experience to equal six (6) years.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master's degree in related field plus two (2) or more years of related professional experience in international education or student affairs.
- Significant international experience living, working or studying abroad.
- Between one (1) and three (3) years of event-planning experience
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong computer skills; proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Proven ability to multi-task, establish priorities, and follow instructions
- Proven ability to work with people from different cultures
- Knowledge of diverse social identities and demonstrated commitment to constructing respectful, inclusive environments
- One (1) year of experience using StudioAbroad office management software
- One (1) year of experience advising a student organization
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- Scholarship program coordination experience
- One (1) year of experience using OmniUpdate web content management software
The mission of our department is to maximize educational opportunities for the community we serve in order that we all might become more knowledgeable of other countries and peoples, appreciative of cultural diversity, and capable of functioning as internationally competent individuals. The TTU Office of International Affairs and the International Cultural Center (ICC) provide a myriad of far-reaching services for TTU and the multiple and diverse communities served by the University.
A complete application for this position will consist of a Cover Letter, Resume, and three or more professional references (please include complete contact information for the references). Applications must be submitted electronically. Please visit our Human Resources web site at www.texastech.edu/careers and search for requisition ID# 10421 for details and position requirements.
As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.
Texas Tech University offers a great benefits/retirement package.