As a member of production team and under supervision, assists in the production of all baked goods and desserts for dining room menus and/or catered functions using proper culinary techniques, established procedures and standardized recipes. Observes highest standards of sanitation, safety and quality assurance.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
1. Assists in performing culinary baking skills as instructed and directed. Understands the use of the different types of flour leavening and thickening agents. Practices all baking techniques including but not limited to scaling and mixing doughs, batters, fillings, puddings and frostings. Has working knowledge of Danish Puff Paste and Cream Puff Dough. Practices proper storage of baked or unbaked items, frostings, fillings, creams, glazes and syrups. Performs all Bench work tasks with speed and efficiency.
2. Formulates standardized recipes and procedures as instructed and follows procedures for holding and serving times and temperatures.
3. Consistently practices correct food handling procedures as directed to reduce/prevent any incidence of food born illness.
4. Is always aware of and observes maximum safety precautions in performing all tasks especially involving wet floors, cutting, and all Bake Shop equipment, slicing and chopping equipment, hot ovens, food, and any other hazard.
5. Correctly disassembles, cleans and sanitizes all kitchen equipment. Maintains an uncluttered and sanitary work area.
6. Correctly operates all Bake Shop equipment. Performs basic equipment maintenance such as oiling, sharpening etc as directed. Reports any malfunction or needed repair to supervisor.
7. Observes all policies, procedures and regulations of the Bake Shop, department and university.
8. Understands organizational structure and relationships between operating units; adheres to established methods of requisitioning and transferring goods within and between units.
9. Improves skills by learning and demonstrating the tasks and responsibilities of Baker.
10. Practices teamwork and cooperates with peers, being sensitive to others feelings and beliefs.
11. Maintains a neat, well groomed professional appearance.
12. Performs other tasks as requested.
~ Ability to understand and follow instructions, take direction, read and interpret recipes, and understand
symbols of weight and measure.
~ One year experience as Baker's Helper or Food Services Worker or experience that demonstrates a knowledge of food preparation and/or basic baking techniques. Culinary School attendance preferred.
~ Neat and clean appearance.
~ Ability to perform required tasks with speed and efficiency.
~ Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
~ Ability to lift supplies or equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
~ Ability to tolerate extreme heat and cold.
~ Basic mechanical ability to operate assigned equipment correctly and safely.
This Baker's Helper position is scheduled to work 40 hours per week for 41 weeks per year.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal and education records check satisfactory to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:2017-04-21-07:00
Job Posting Title:Baker's Helper
Grade:Dining Services Union Rates
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.