About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech, founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution, is currently ranked as a Top 25 Public University by US News & World Report and a Top 25 Public Research University by the National Science Foundation. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). As the Commonwealth's most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech serves a diverse population of 30,000+ students and 8000+ faculty and staff from over 100 countries, and is engaged in research around the world. Invent the Future at Virginia Tech.
Reporting to the Second Shift Maintenance Supervisor, as a member of the Second Shift Operations Control Center Team, the Second Shift Housekeeping Worker provides emergency clean up functions across campus and housekeeping services to designated areas to assure a clean, sanitary and safe environment. This position is responsible for meeting high standards of housekeeping in offices, classrooms, hallways, meeting rooms, public areas, bathrooms, stairwells, housekeeping closets, and other areas within the facilities. Duties may include, but not limited to: floor and window maintenance, vacuuming, mopping, dusting, gathering and removal of trash, and snow and ice removal from entrance ways and sidewalks. Reports needed equipment and building repair and any unsafe or unusual housekeeping situations. Responsible for the care and handling of housekeeping supplies, equipment and assigned keys. Occasionally assists with the preparation of regularly scheduled events. Designated Emergency Personnel—requires employees to report to work during emergency situations and closings.
The position will report to the Second Shift Maintenance Supervisor as well as the Director of Housekeeping and Area Manager.
- Experience working with the public and/or customer service experience.
- Knowledge of cleaning methods.
- Ability to comprehend and follow instructions, and properly use or learn to use cleaning chemicals and agents, including dilution and dispensing systems.
- Must be able to walk and stand extensively; climb stairs; safely move or handle up to 35 lbs.; bend, stoop, reach (including reaching above the head to dust), push/pull, perform repetitive motion, twist, and shovel snow.
- Must be able to safely and efficiently operate electrically powered and manual cleaning equipment.
– Must be willing and able to learn the use of heavy floor care equipment.
– Must be capable of working independently without close supervision.
– Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Housekeeping/cleaning experience in an institutional, or commercial cleaning environment (such as hospitality (hotel/motel), commercial cleaning company, manufacturing, health care facilities, etc.).
- Housekeeping/cleaning experience working in an educational environment (such as universities/college, school systems, etc.).
- Previous experience operating professional cleaning equipment.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 05/25/2017